Help.....What Tablet.....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Thanks colonel, I must admit I do have an aversion to the whole 'apple' thing for lots of the reasons you have mentioned, but I did prefer the feel of the iPad over the Samsung tablet.....however, I hadnt even considered the Asus......looks like its back to more cogitating .....I bet everyone will be relieved when I finally put up the money and shut up !! :eek:

Lynda :)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
have you considered the kindle Fire HD? £159. my mother has one and raves over it!

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
have you considered the kindle Fire HD? £159. my mother has one and raves over it!
Nice machine for the money but if you think a Apple is locked into what Apple want to let you have wait till you try the Kindle.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
No Paul...I think thats really more just an upmarket kindle and I want something to replace my laptop.
Im looking into the Asus Transformer and also the Samsung tab......will have to just keep looking for now until I get the m/home sorted and also my tv is playing up now...the colour is going crazy.
Never rains but it pours.... :(

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Have you decided yet Lyn?

This is the transformer laptop I have:

[video=youtube_share;ZAyLrRDpcSw]http://youtu.be/ZAyLrRDpcSw[/video]

It's a bit beefy and I expect you're after something lady-like and portable? Else I might be selling this Toshiba Portege R400 soon for a bargain price if yer interested.. it's brand new...well refurbished "new"... from Toshiba... full warranty with THREE new batteries, including a mega big one.. Has Vista Ultimate installed..

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Try and catch me on skype tonight paul, or PM me.....

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Try and catch me on skype tonight paul, or PM me.....

I did say MIGHT though :p I'm becoming rather fond of this funky looking thing, which looks like something off the set of Star Wars. I would probably never use it, but its nice to look at! I have no idea how much these things cost, have a look on eBay and make me a reasonable offer if you like ;-)

There's also the IBM/Lenovo x60 hybrid tablet laptop being sold on eBay and elsewhere for around £100-£130..

P.S. My Portege R400 Has 4GB of RAM (upgraded by Toshiba from the usual 2GB), 12" screen, which is not finger touch sensitive like a tablet..you have to use a stylus pen.. The weight is 1.7kg with standard-sized battery, 1.3kg without any battery running off mains.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I bet everyone will be relieved when I finally put up the money and shut up !! :eek:

You're nowhere near as bad as me, I have been known to take a year before I decide to buy something..by the time I decide, new technology has come out :D Seriously though, I think one shouldn't rush into these purchases..do your homework and read some reviews on Amazon etc.. I suppose you can always send something back if you buy new though and really don't like it.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
one down side seems to be that they are crap in bright sunlight.
My nokia n810 tablet has transflective LCD it works great in bright sunlight, I used it on my bike a bit, but the GPS on it sucks, too weak..pity else it would be an outstanding Linux tablet, with slide-out keyboard too.

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
I also have an 810 its a bit slow now as most smart phones are pretty good, though its open source that i miss, I got it for when I travel for banking etc.I dont need a tablet just want one for christmas have to buy my own presents nowdays sad.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I also have an 810 its a bit slow now as most smart phones are pretty good, though its open source that i miss, I got it for when I travel for banking etc.I dont need a tablet just want one for christmas have to buy my own presents nowdays sad.
Yeah it does look a little dated I guess compared to Android..videos is slow and Web videos is a bit rare..I still think it's a beautiful little machine though hardware wise, very well designed in every detail..they really did think of everything eh? The slide out keyboard very slick..and light sensor on the keyboard to turn on backlighting on keys..self-adjusting LCD backlight to save power..even a little stand! the only thing I have trouble with on mine is the charging.. I don't know if I got a dodgy battery or there's some knack to it, but I can never get the thing to charge! The little charging icon thing never comes up when put adaptor in...I have to fiddle with it, press the start button etc a few times, and hold it, then it starts..seems a bit random!

I'm trying to get a webcam to work on mine.. I've seen it can be done but you have to mod the kernel and install a driver.

Last edited:

Advertisers