Help with chain

El Torro Loco

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2016
Can someone please me as I'm totally confused.

I need a new chain for my Freego Hawk, I want something decent, the rear hub is 7 speed.

When I look at 7 speed chains there is not much choice, however I read that you can use 7,8 or 9 speed chains but when I look at these they say "Compatible with 18-21 24 speed HG" ?????

Can anyone advise what I can use or recommend a chain

Thanks in advance

Gray

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
7 speed chains .
KMC Z7 7 from Wiggle £5 or HG40 7 spd for Altus/Alivio from CRC, both 116 links which is fairly std for a chain.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 person

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Can someone please me as I'm totally confused.

I need a new chain for my Freego Hawk, I want something decent, the rear hub is 7 speed.

When I look at 7 speed chains there is not much choice, however I read that you can use 7,8 or 9 speed chains but when I look at these they say "Compatible with 18-21 24 speed HG" ?????

Can anyone advise what I can use or recommend a chain

Thanks in advance

Gray
Hi,
The 18/21/24 means the number of gears when matched to a triple chainset at the front.
Pretty much any chain will be up to the job. This is what I just ordered for a Coyote Connect, and don't foresee any problems with it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231880818946
Hope this helps.
Regards Mark

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Thanks to you both, all clear now and chain ordered.
Bear in mind that if your existing chain is badly worn you may find that the rear cogs are worn as well and the new chain may not mate up to them. This seems to be more of a problem when you have more than 7 speeds so you may be OK but if you have trouble with the chain jumping gears and can't adjust it out they may also need replacing.
Just try the chain first and see how it goes.
Dave.

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Hi

Please remember that the chain is longer than normal (due to the longer wheelbase caused by the battery position).
It has 133 links. We have spares available from FreeGo if you cannot source the correct one.

All the best
Richard Davies
Or, as you have already ordered a chain, order another one the same & make one of the correct length out of the two.
Mark

Reactions: El Torro Loco

Advertisers