Hit the magic 50 today...

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
mph, that is :D

Down a 14% hill, approx 1/3 mile long, slight wind following, dry conditions, tucked in. Bike is a Cytronex Cannondale Synapse.

And I was breaking the speed limit :D :p :D

Oh how I love the hills of Hampshire, managed a respectable 7mph on the way back up.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're probably our record holder now Tim. My previous e-bike best was 45 mph on a Torq 1.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Over 50

No, reached over 50mph last year and this year. Last year on Ching Challenge with Nick (Tiberius) and this year 52mph down Pembroke Hill on the same event. I really enjoyed overtaking two cars on the long swooping downhill stretches. Interestingly last year I experience no problems braking at the bottom of the hill even though there was a tight bend and the support vehicle was driving about a foor away from me, but this year I left it a little later and had problems afterwards with my brakes which cut short my ride. I have front Magura hydraulic brakes and a rear disc. There was a strong smell of burning which I found out afterwards was because one of the brake was catching the edge of the tyre - not recommended. The pads had also moved when I braked very strongly!

Many thanks to Phil Key from OnBike who inspected and readjusted both brakes for me before going home!

ePhil, did the braking cause any problems for you from such a fast speed?

Conal

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
You're probably our record holder now Tim. My previous e-bike best was 45 mph on a Torq 1.
I thought Tiberius was the record holder. Wasn't it the M5 at Mach2 or something :D

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
ePhil, did the braking cause any problems for you from such a fast speed?

Conal
I think that question was aimed at me (eTim). No, the V-brakes are pretty good on the Synapse (disc brakes are still better), they have just about bedded in now from new, and there is a progressive feel to them, they are slightly wooden in feedback, but this might improve with miles. I haven't had any scares so far with them and all my rides so far have been cold and wet or damp !

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
wrong name

eTim

Sorry about the name mistake. Phil Key looked at my disc yesterday and it has definitely warped. Just my bad luck.

Conal

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
mph, that is :D

Down a 14% hill, approx 1/3 mile long, slight wind following, dry conditions, tucked in. Bike is a Cytronex Cannondale Synapse.

And I was breaking the speed limit
Oh how I love the hills of Hampshire, managed a respectable 7mph on the way back up.
Whereabouts in Hampshire are you, eTim?

I'm also in Hampshire, and I also have a Cytronex Cannondale Synapse (but with a 175 wheel). Whereabouts did you do the 50mph. I fancy a crack at that myself :D

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I'm impressed. I'm too chicken to do anything more than 30mph myself. :eek:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Whereabouts in Hampshire are you, eTim?

I'm also in Hampshire, and I also have a Cytronex Cannondale Synapse (but with a 175 wheel). Whereabouts did you do the 50mph. I fancy a crack at that myself :D
I'm just North of Andover. The hill is Hurstborne Hill which leads straight into the village of Hurstborne Tarrant on the A343. The hill is on the South side of the village with the drop running South to North. The hill is almost 1/2 mile long with about 1/4 mile available at it's steepest, there is a hairpin at the bottom but by then you will already be on the brakes ! There is also a pub at the bottom to celebrate your achievement should you hit the 50 :D :D

So give it a go - give me a shout if you want to try it and I'll try for the magic 55 :eek:

PS there are other roads leading down into this valley, but I haven't speed tested those yet

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Porlock Hill

Wiki states

"Porlock Hill is a section of the A39 west of the village of Porlock. The road climbs approximately 1,300 ft (400 m) in less than 2 miles (3.2 km) up onto Exmoor: a very steep hill with gradients of up to 1 in 4 and hairpin bends.[1] The hill must be driven slowly and with great care. At the bottom of the hill there have been numerous accidents when coaches have crashed into walls as their brakes failed. As you walk near the bottom of the hill you will often smell burning brakes from cars."

This is where I reached the magic 50 this year travelling downhill towards Porlock, and the Wiki entry even mentions my burning brakes - but mistakenly has attributed the smell to cars!

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I'm just North of Andover. The hill is Hurstborne Hill which leads straight into the village of Hurstborne Tarrant on the A343. The hill is on the South side of the village with the drop running South to North. The hill is almost 1/2 mile long with about 1/4 mile available at it's steepest, there is a hairpin at the bottom but by then you will already be on the brakes ! There is also a pub at the bottom to celebrate your achievement should you hit the 50
So give it a go - give me a shout if you want to try it and I'll try for the magic 55
PS there are other roads leading down into this valley, but I haven't speed tested those yet
I will definitely give it a go, but think it might be wise to wait until it warms up a bit. I'll see how I go first, then perhaps give you a shout.

I did porlock Hill on a Torq, but I was with the OH who was a bit nervous. I fitted new brake blocks specially for it, and they were virtually worn down by the end of the weekend.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I will definitely give it a go, but think it might be wise to wait until it warms up a bit. I'll see how I go first, then perhaps give you a shout.

I did porlock Hill on a Torq, but I was with the OH who was a bit nervous. I fitted new brake blocks specially for it, and they were virtually worn down by the end of the weekend.
Well it should be back up to 8 degrees this evening, hopefully I'll be going down that hill again trying for another record ! :eek:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Be careful, I hate to think of the mess you will be in if you come off....

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
As promised, another attempt made. I'd just started my descent, peddling like mad, I got up to 41mph when the vehicle behind me suddenly put on blue's & two's, christ I got a fright and nearly fell off !! I seriously thought I was getting pulled for breaking the speed limit ! Turns out it was an ambulance wanting to get past in a rush to some emergency :eek:

So one aborted attempt this evening, what are the chances of that happening! Oh well there's always another day. BTW I don't purposely go out of my way to 'do' this hill it happens to be on my battery conditioning run (and it's a load of fun) :D :D

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Well it should be back up to 8 degrees this evening, hopefully I'll be going down that hill again trying for another record ! :eek:
This You-Tube video shows how it is done. It looks like the ideal conditions is when you have a steep compact snow covered hill. It is hard to tell from the video whether the bike has its suspension locked out for efficiency:rolleyes:

YouTube - Markus Stoeckl Speedbike

Perhaps the e-bike manufacturers/suppliers could sponsor a record breaking attempt to raise publicity:D

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
So.. I can get 124.9mph (another video from the same youtube 'thread') if I ride down an icy mountain slope. Must also dress like Darth Vader's high school musical loving progeny.

Think I'll stick with e-Tim's hill, a Cytronex Cannondale Synapse and some dignity.

:p

PS e-Tim - I'm not only interested in matching/besting your DOWNhill time..... ;)

Advertisers