Home made eMTB By 2 novices

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
nice bike mate, i have done my own, i built the battery too from Lithium ion cells...

what hub motor did you use?

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Thanks Steve
Building your own battery! I wish you lived near Me. Get a photo of the build on here man. It's a 2kw motor. I did have My battery custom made for Me by Unitpackpower.com. Get a photo of your bike uploaded Steve, I'm dying to see it
nice bike mate, i have done my own, i built the battery too from Lithium ion cells...

what hub motor did you use?
Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thread for this is in wrong sub forum as they aren't emtb's as in mountain bikes but e mtb (motor bike).

Should really be in s peds & non eapc sub forum.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n and EddiePJ

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Yeah sorry didn't realize. Just posted it in s Peds.
Not sure how to remove this from here though, maybe you can assist.
Thread for this is in wrong sub forum as they aren't emtb's as in mountain bikes but e mtb (motor bike).

Should really be in s peds & non eapc sub forum.
Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Only admin can move or delete to combine it with thread in proper sub forum.

Not being picky but if other users want to find or see high spec fast bikes they should be able to search in the correct sub forum.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Only admin can move or delete to combine it with thread in proper sub forum.

Not being picky but if other users want to find or see high spec fast bikes they should be able to search in the correct sub forum.
Yeah I totally understand, cheers.

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
Thanks Steve
Building your own battery! I wish you lived near Me. Get a photo of the build on here man. It's a 2kw motor. I did have My battery custom made for Me by Unitpackpower.com. Get a photo of your bike uploaded Steve, I'm dying to see it

i will do once its finished mate, i am just working on the housing for the batteries and a control panel to sit jst below the handle bars in the center console...

at the moment my batteries are in 4 ice cream tubs in a ruck sack either side of the frame in the testing phase.

If you are in the UK i am happy to build batteries for people.

once the housings are made i should be able to fit about 100Ah @ 60v
the centre console will house the controller, fuses, key switch, Volt/Amp meter so i can see the current draw, 2 battery monitors to keep a track on my individual cell voltages so i can see if they go out of balance and a 12v and 5v chargers

once i have finished this build i plan to build some more for sale...

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Steve, yes I do live in the UK, I'm down in Poole in Dorset, you? 100ah @60v are you kidding! Now I thought mine was "Sick"! I really need to see a progress so far photo, ice cream tubs? Please at least make a video diary Steve. And yes building Me a battery in the not so distant future for My partner's converted Freego.
i will do once its finished mate, i am just working on the housing for the batteries and a control panel to sit jst below the handle bars in the center console...

at the moment my batteries are in 4 ice cream tubs in a ruck sack either side of the frame in the testing phase.

If you are in the UK i am happy to build batteries for people.

once the housings are made i should be able to fit about 100Ah @ 60v
the centre console will house the controller, fuses, key switch, Volt/Amp meter so i can see the current draw, 2 battery monitors to keep a track on my individual cell voltages so i can see if they go out of balance and a 12v and 5v chargers

once i have finished this build i plan to build some more for sale...

Reactions: Steve Dyson

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
Steve, yes I do live in the UK, I'm down in Poole in Dorset, you? 100ah @60v are you kidding! Now I thought mine was "Sick"! I really need to see a progress so far photo, ice cream tubs? Please at least make a video diary Steve. And yes building Me a battery in the not so distant future for My partner's converted Freego.

I am up in lancashire near manchester

My partner told me i should make a video diary and post it on youtube because i have had a few setbacks, like at the moment, i have blown a hall sensor... i will get some photos taken today if the new sensors arrive as i need to fit them... the whole build, including a 2nd hand MTB only cost me £325, the extra fiver is for the 6 hall sensors i am replacing.

100Ah round here with all the hills and the weight of me and my bike will give me about 180 miles range if i have it in commute(legal) mode...

it takes between 10 and 12 Ah out of the current 22Ah battery on my 23 mile journey to and from work.

top speed so far before i blew the hall sensor was 47mph on road and 55 off road but thats from over volting and could be why the sensor went or its just a cheap ass chinese motor build quality...

before i build the console and battery housings i am have to order a new controller so that i can see if i can mod it and get the voltage up but with this i need to get some cooling on the motor...

I am happy to build you a battery, i use recycled Lithium Ion batteries out of laptops and pick the best ones, matching the Ah ratings, run them with the cell monitors on so that each bank of 3.7v will set an alarm off if they go below 3v that way the bank of cells doesnt die(which i have learnt from killing weaker cells without the monitor)

i find its much easier and better to learn what are the best needs by doing my self...

what voltage and Ah rating are you looking at for the other half's bike? plus what is the wattage of the controller and its Amp draw?

i can size you one up and give you a price, it will be completely sealed and fused.

i will post pics of my batteries but dont be alarmed, i dont wrap mine so i can tear apart and replace cell banks that i dont like the way that manufacturer of batteries performs.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Hi Steve
I'm also from Manchester many years ago, Irlam! I still have family up there, and I do get back from time to time. You definitely need to make a diary mate, this sounds an epic adventure, I'd love to see it! YouTube it then send Me the link. listen to your lady - good advice!! Ha.

She doesn't need a battery just yet, I've just finished converting it from the standard 36v 250watt off the shelf freego hawk, it's now 48v 1000watt with a 48v 13ah dolphin battery, 48v 30amp kt speed controller. Like I said though, in the not to distant future, I would like to increase the Ah of that battery, could We squeeze more cells in parallel in that dolphin case Steve? A couple of photos of My partner's conversion below.

Have a look on My YouTube channel Steve (Daron Rowe) at the build of My 52v 28Ah bike, then the subsequent 59mile test ride around the beautiful Dorset coastal village's.
I am up in lancashire near manchester

My partner told me i should make a video diary and post it on youtube because i have had a few setbacks, like at the moment, i have blown a hall sensor... i will get some photos taken today if the new sensors arrive as i need to fit them... the whole build, including a 2nd hand MTB only cost me £325, the extra fiver is for the 6 hall sensors i am replacing.

100Ah round here with all the hills and the weight of me and my bike will give me about 180 miles range if i have it in commute(legal) mode...

it takes between 10 and 12 Ah out of the current 22Ah battery on my 23 mile journey to and from work.

top speed so far before i blew the hall sensor was 47mph on road and 55 off road but thats from over volting and could be why the sensor went or its just a cheap ass chinese motor build quality...

before i build the console and battery housings i am have to order a new controller so that i can see if i can mod it and get the voltage up but with this i need to get some cooling on the motor...

I am happy to build you a battery, i use recycled Lithium Ion batteries out of laptops and pick the best ones, matching the Ah ratings, run them with the cell monitors on so that each bank of 3.7v will set an alarm off if they go below 3v that way the bank of cells doesnt die(which i have learnt from killing weaker cells without the monitor)

i find its much easier and better to learn what are the best needs by doing my self...

what voltage and Ah rating are you looking at for the other half's bike? plus what is the wattage of the controller and its Amp draw?

i can size you one up and give you a price, it will be completely sealed and fused.

i will post pics of my batteries but dont be alarmed, i dont wrap mine so i can tear apart and replace cell banks that i dont like the way that manufacturer of batteries performs.

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
Hi Steve
I'm also from Manchester many years ago, Irlam! I still have family up there, and I do get back from time to time. You definitely need to make a diary mate, this sounds an epic adventure, I'd love to see it! YouTube it then send Me the link. listen to your lady - good advice!! Ha.

She doesn't need a battery just yet, I've just finished converting it from the standard 36v 250watt off the shelf freego hawk, it's now 48v 1000watt with a 48v 13ah dolphin battery, 48v 30amp kt speed controller. Like I said though, in the not to distant future, I would like to increase the Ah of that battery, could We squeeze more cells in parallel in that dolphin case Steve? A couple of photos of My partner's conversion below.

Have a look on My YouTube channel Steve (Daron Rowe) at the build of My 52v 28Ah bike, then the subsequent 59mile test ride around the beautiful Dorset coastal village's.

i will take a look at your build and the ride, i will defo get mine documented because its a real heath robinson build and showing what you can do on a budget... not that i had a budget, i just like doing it that way... i am born and bred in yorkshire so deep pockets and short arms... lol

i know Irlam, i am in bacup but said manchester as usually southerners dont know places other than leeds, manchester sheffield birmingham etc... lol

onto the dolphin case, 48V 13Ah, can you tell me if at full charge it is 48V or is it 52v that would tell me how many strings of 3.7v cells are in there so i can work out which capacity batteries have been used...

at my calculations i would say that they have used 6 x 2200mAh cells in parralel to get the just over 13Ah rating which means that if there is no more space in the dolphin case then even at best replacing the 2200mAh cells with 3000mAh cells would give a max of 18Ah

if they have used 1800mAh cells that would be 12.6Ah which could get rounded up to 13Ah and use 7 cells, giving 3Ah x 7 = 21Ah

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
i will take a look at your build and the ride, i will defo get mine documented because its a real heath robinson build and showing what you can do on a budget... not that i had a budget, i just like doing it that way... i am born and bred in yorkshire so deep pockets and short arms... lol

i know Irlam, i am in bacup but said manchester as usually southerners dont know places other than leeds, manchester sheffield birmingham etc... lol

onto the dolphin case, 48V 13Ah, can you tell me if at full charge it is 48V or is it 52v that would tell me how many strings of 3.7v cells are in there so i can work out which capacity batteries have been used...

at my calculations i would say that they have used 6 x 2200mAh cells in parralel to get the just over 13Ah rating which means that if there is no more space in the dolphin case then even at best replacing the 2200mAh cells with 3000mAh cells would give a max of 18Ah

if they have used 1800mAh cells that would be 12.6Ah which could get rounded up to 13Ah and use 7 cells, giving 3Ah x 7 = 21Ah
Southerners! Haha!! Love it! I suppose I kind of am now after 35 years down here. Gorgeous place though Steve.

It reads 54.6 volts hot off the charger.

If you find yourself ever down this way mate give me a bell, and I will certainly use you for My next battery pack, for mine and My partner's. But please send Me your YouTube link when you upload it Steve.

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
i sure will on both counts, never been down that way.

just working on a battery pack for my mate at work for a build i talked him into, he has converted his bike with the same motor and controller as mine for his commute, so putting him a 64v fully charged 15Ah out of Samsung and LG 3000mAh batteries which will fit in 2 (morrisons) ice cream tubs lol

Redneck Build

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
When you do My next battery, I will not settle for anything less than Waitrose ice cream cases though..... I mean, I am from the south you understand! Lol

Cheers mate
i sure will on both counts, never been down that way.

just working on a battery pack for my mate at work for a build i talked him into, he has converted his bike with the same motor and controller as mine for his commute, so putting him a 64v fully charged 15Ah out of Samsung and LG 3000mAh batteries which will fit in 2 (morrisons) ice cream tubs lol

Redneck Build

Advertisers