Hornit bike horn

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I road to work today in the rain which is 3rd day in a row, it was lashing down.
I parked bike it up in the basement at 7.30am
At 11am there was an unknown alarm blasting out and I was lucky the building wasn't evacuated. Turns out it was my bike hornit horn.
I'm lucky not to get in trouble. That may come Monday!
That's all I want to say about it.
Been very stressful day..

Just a heads-up if you own one. Too loud if it goes off at work or other area.
Mine is going in the bin...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just a heads-up if you own one
AFAIK on this forum, it's just me and @jimriley who use Hornits, both are version 1.

Crumbs. Your Hornit has almost got you fired? :oops: Of it's two noise options, the weird shrieky high pitched keening harpy noise could be mistaken for a smoke alarm, as opposed to it's beepy small road vehicle-esque horn sound. How long can a horn powered by two AAA batteries possibly last, if sounded continuously?

I've got the version 1 Hornit and it continues to function despite being drenched many times over the past couple of years. Aside from my being out cycling in all weathers, my bike often stands in downpours when I'm gardening. If they've screwed up waterproofing for version 2, perhaps it isn't too late to return it to Hornit? Did you pay using Paypal?

You could replace it with a 12V motorbike horn via an inline fuse, waterproof switch, connected to the ebike battery - this was my initial plan before buying my Honit. I've ordered the first two ebay item linked below yesterday, possibly to power triggering my nascent vapourware indicators...

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/repurpose-led-panels-from-a-crumbled-amazon-light-to-make-bike-lights.46269/

...but if not, to power other 12V things on my bike.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I road to work today in the rain which is 3rd day in a row, it was lashing down.
At 11am there was an unknown alarm blasting out and I was lucky the building wasn't evacuated. Turns out it was my bike hornit horn.

That's a bit harsh on the poor Hornit. Is it the little push button switch? You can just disconnect that when you park up.
I bought another, for the 'bent e tandem, it seems louder, probably v2. Neither had gone off by themselves.
You should get back to Hornit, if it's a common issue they need to know, to fix it. You never know they might send you a v2. Beep beep beeeeep!

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I've messaged them.See what they say. It's so embarrassing! Also potentially a big problem if building was evaluated.

I guess I could pull plug every morning and push back in on return journey and pull again when I get home but I can't really do that.
I've tested the button and cable and fine. It's got to be water getting in somewhere?
I used it though and great for screened bus stops to alert anyone hid behind.

I've taken it off bike now. If I don't get any joy from company I'll forward on to a member here for free that can test or use as a backup maybe. Don't really want to throw it in landfill if it can be fixed or used. I don't trust it! I can't ever take it to work again.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you might want to check for quick and efficient solutions.
Surely it can't be long before you post a link to a product or service.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

No I prefer this

Had my three 14 years and still perfect

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Update.

They sent me a replacement horn.
I promised to send the faulty one back which I must do.
Wow that's great! Maybe keep it covered with a couple of clear waterproof food bags? Can't imagine doing so would reduce it's volume much.

Related Articles

Advertisers