How i can increase max speed of my bike?

crazymaster

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2018
London
Hello!
I have this bike: https://chadwickandtaylor.com/products/mens-electric/

The maximum speed is around 20-25km/h

Its with 24V 8ah battery. I put second 24v 15ah battery(2 scooter batteries of 12v 15ah each)

I am using the bike for delivery. Daily i make 50-100km.

The problem is that i want higher speed... something like 30-40-50km/h will be better, but if it doesn't reduce much my battery life with one charge...

What i can do to increase speed? I opened the controller, but it dont have any labels or model on it...

Maybe increasing the battery voltage? Or/and changing controller(which one to buy) ? Or its not possible?

I am in London

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You would have to increase the voltage. This would mean changing your controller. you would also have to change your battery and buy a higher capacity one as higher speed means less range.
Also consider that this bike is only single speed gearing. Also V brakes would need to be upgraded for your safety and that of others. So either a disc on the front (if the frame will take it) or a Magura HS11.
All in all, my first impression is that you've got the wrong bike for what you want it to do.
Seriously have a look at LP's suggestion - there's a reason he's suggested it:rolleyes:;)

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

A 36v battery and controller will give you 50% more power and speed without compromising reliability. If you turn everything up to maximum, range will be about the same, or you can get a bigger one if you want more range

You can get any 36v battery you want. A down-tube one would be better than a rack one.

Before getting a new controller, you need to establish whether your motor is sensorless (3 wires) or sensored (8 or more wires).

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Faster speed will reduce range so will use the batteries energy up quicker if cut off speed is higher then 25km/h, realistically 32- 35 km/h is a more gettable speed then 40 -50. More battery capacitiy /ah will be required.
Ideally for your requirements ( above 40kh/m) you will need an S- pedelec or a diy bespoke build both though won't be cheap.

• Agree

Ryan Yorke

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2018
Nottingham
Yeah you could buy an unregistered, non road legal motor cross bike, like a KTM, as they’re used illegally on roads and public byways at a much higher regularity than any over powered ebikes in the uk

Yeah you could buy an unregistered, non road legal motor cross bike, like a KTM, as they’re used illegally on roads and public byways at a much higher regularity than any over powered ebikes in the uk
Yes, which was my point, he'll be making an unregistered, non road legal electric motorbike, with a rubbish range, with components not designed for that use. So he's taking a huge risk on 2 counts. Buying a motorbike designed as such means he's only taking a risk on one count, and he'll get better range.

Ryan Yorke

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2018
Nottingham
Yes, which was my point, he'll be making an unregistered, non road legal electric motorbike, with a rubbish range, with components not designed for that use. So he's taking a huge risk on 2 counts. Buying a motorbike designed as such means he's only taking a risk on one count, and he'll get better range.
I don’t really think that’s the sort of advice a company should be seen giving to a member of the public. My opinion of the ethics of KTM as a brand has definitely taken a step down after reading this. Selling non road legal motorbikes with no realistic legal use in the uk is one thing, but actively promoting the illegal use of them is another matter all together.

I don’t really think that’s the sort of advice a company should be seen giving to a member of the public. My opinion of the ethics of KTM as a brand has definitely taken a step down after reading this. Selling non road legal motorbikes with no realistic legal use in the uk is one thing, but actively promoting the illegal use of them is another matter all together.
Again you're missing my point. I'm in no way condoning or suggesting its a good idea to use illegal motorbikes.

I was trying to make it clear that what he's doing is the same as riding an illegal motorbike, and hope that as a normal responsible human being he wouldn't do that... so why do it on a home made one?

Ryan Yorke

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2018
Nottingham
I know the point you were trying to make, I was just winding you up to be honest, unfortunately you couldn’t see that from all the way up there on your high horse.
I was also taking the opportunity to point out that your moral high ground has very little sway when you work for a company that has profited for decades from bikes that are regularly used illegally, with much higher risk to the public and the users than ebikes

I know the point you were trying to make, I was just winding you up to be honest, unfortunately you couldn’t see that from all the way up there on your high horse.
I was also taking the opportunity to point out that your moral high ground has very little sway when you work for a company that has profited for decades from bikes that are regularly used illegally, with much higher risk to the public and the users than ebikes
Well I wish I made even a single penny from motorbikes being sold. I don't. You're getting your KTM's mixed up. They have been 2 separate companies since the early 90s.

Also.... selling motorbikes that aren't road legal is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, they are designed to be raced and used on private tracks.

Individuals who choose to use them illegally are just as bad as people who modify eBikes to make them illegal... its the same thing.

Riding illegal, uninsured, untaxed motorbikes (be it electric or petrol) on the public road.

I'm saying they are the same... one is as bad as the other.

and its not a moral high ground... its simply legal fact.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hello!
I have this bike: https://chadwickandtaylor.com/products/mens-electric/

The maximum speed is around 20-25km/h

Its with 24V 8ah battery. I put second 24v 15ah battery(2 scooter batteries of 12v 15ah each)

I am using the bike for delivery. Daily i make 50-100km.

The problem is that i want higher speed... something like 30-40-50km/h will be better, but if it doesn't reduce much my battery life with one charge...

What i can do to increase speed? I opened the controller, but it dont have any labels or model on it...

Maybe increasing the battery voltage? Or/and changing controller(which one to buy) ? Or its not possible?

I am in London
This topic of speeding up e bikes is as old as the industry.
There are a couple of salient engineering facts even before considering anything legal.
1. Power consumption from the battery and or your legs increases as the cube of your speed.. if you double your speed your range drops by a factor of eight!.
2. The brakes and suspension and other parts of the bike were designed etc on a belief that the bike would be travelling at a specific speed stopping distances skidding even seat padding are all affected. Put simply the bike is more dangerous at high speeds.
Mopeds and similar look different because they are. .. the safety design is different.

Ryan Yorke

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2018
Nottingham
Well I wish I made even a single penny from motorbikes being sold. I don't. You're getting your KTM's mixed up. They have been 2 separate companies since the early 90s.

Also.... selling motorbikes that aren't road legal is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, they are designed to be raced and used on private tracks.

Individuals who choose to use them illegally are just as bad as people who modify eBikes to make them illegal... its the same thing.

Riding illegal, uninsured, untaxed motorbikes (be it electric or petrol) on the public road.

I'm saying they are the same... one is as bad as the other.

and its not a moral high ground... its simply legal fact.
I’m sorry for winding you up about this topic. I recently read that ridiculously long, whingy thread about dongles from a few years ago, and saw you at it again. I just thought a quick ‘as long as you realise the bike will be illegal and “could” jeopardise the future of ebikes’ (like it did when teenagers started derestricting mopeds ) would’ve been a better angle than the sarcastic one.
You are right they do make a bike illegal, my position isn’t that they don’t, it’s that I don’t think it’s your place to judge anyone on the choices they make. I’m sure the op understands the laws and risks he is taking and that is between him and the judicial system, frankly it’s non of your business if he chooses to break the law.
And sorry for confusing the two KTM companies, the branding is the same so I’d assume just as the new one enjoys the prestige of the original one it equally must endure its faults.
Look buddy, new laws last year show that ebikes aren’t going to see a blanket ban any time soon, and anyone found breaking the regulations will be treated on an individual basis. Anyone that has spent five minutes here understands that illegal bikes are illegal, and that you don’t like them, so for heaven’s sake, stop going on about it...

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The OP is new to the forum, has asked his question, started a lively debate, and not been seen again.
However, if he does ever come back, he'll now know, for sure, that what he intends is illegal. He has the freedom of choice to carry on or not.
He will also know that it will cost him more, to achieve what he wants with that particular bike, than it would to buy a fit for purpose machine.
So, job done I'd say. I look forward to his further enquiries.

I’m sorry for winding you up about this topic. I recently read that ridiculously long, whingy thread about dongles from a few years ago, and saw you at it again. I just thought a quick ‘as long as you realise the bike will be illegal and “could” jeopardise the future of ebikes’ (like it did when teenagers started derestricting mopeds ) would’ve been a better angle than the sarcastic one.
You are right they do make a bike illegal, my position isn’t that they don’t, it’s that I don’t think it’s your place to judge anyone on the choices they make. I’m sure the op understands the laws and risks he is taking and that is between him and the judicial system, frankly it’s non of your business if he chooses to break the law.
And sorry for confusing the two KTM companies, the branding is the same so I’d assume just as the new one enjoys the prestige of the original one it equally must endure its faults.
Look buddy, new laws last year show that ebikes aren’t going to see a blanket ban any time soon, and anyone found breaking the regulations will be treated on an individual basis. Anyone that has spent five minutes here understands that illegal bikes are illegal, and that you don’t like them, so for heaven’s sake, stop going on about it...
Which gets me back to my point... if you're going to ignore the law, why not ignore the law and ride a decent product? It wasn't sarcastic, it was a genuine question.

and my point about the dongles also appears to have been lost on you. I don't think it'll cause eBikes to be banned. I think it'll cause eMTB to be banned from trail centres, bike parks, mtb events etc etc, which will kill the industry and the sport for lots of people who love it, not just those who make money from it.

but this will be a issue from the past soon. 2019 will see changes that will stop this being an issue. So the push has been worth it.

Yet another thread which has been derailed by a personal crusade.

The need to be right.
I don't think he's been that bad, he's not understood my original post, but I'm sure we can let him off.

He's not understood that I was asking a question, granted it was a loaded one, but it was a question that hasn't been answered. If you're going to ride an illegal eBike why not just ride an illegal motorbike?

Or if you're talking about my posts, its not a personal crusade, I'm just the one speaking about it on here. Its an industry wide crusade coming fom all but one major bike brand, and all motor brands and its backed by governments across Europe.

Which is why bikes sold from the launch of 2019 won't be able to be tampered with.

Advertisers