How to avoid Roadrage...

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Assertive does not mean bossy, cocky or arrogant. What it means is riding where you can be SEEN all the time and making that your responsibility not the responsibility of the other road users. We, as cyclists, have a place and a right on the road and we share the road with all the other drivers/riders. We are no different to the other road users. If you take it on yourself to be responsible for others SEEING you, your outlook, whilst on the road, will be different.
Been training PTW riders for while now and it honestly works ;)
That is a great way to operate a motorcycle. I owned bikes up to 1100cc when I rode and I did ride assertively. But I could keep my place in the flow of traffic. I had the power and manuverability to avoid situations. I maintained my "presence" on the road with an assertive stance and positioning. If I rode my ebike like that I would be dead, plain and simple. I do not know how you can equate operating a motorbike with riding an ebike.

What you describe above, to me, equates to defensive driving habits. Having high viz, lights, mirror etc and being aware is being defensive. Perhaps you could put together an assertive bicycle riding course and let us have a look at it.

Cheers

stevew

Pedelecer
Emo, same stuff whatever you take on the roads, just applied differently.

Not me, but read "Cyclecraft" by John Franklin. Think IAM produce a similar publication called something like "Advanced Cycling" it's the same John Franklin stuff but updated.
Also worth a butchers is the "Bikeability" web site at Level 3. Though i'm not sure it it goes into the philosophy of it in any detail as it's aimed at the customer.

Should have said training "two wheelers" in the earlier post 'cos i'm not training motorcyclists any more, just cyclists :)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I think you're having problems with wording. Being defensive and being assertive are not mutually exclusive. Although perhaps decisive is a better word than assertive.

" He was right of course, right all along. But he was just as dead as if he was wrong."

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I think you're having problems with wording. Being defensive and being assertive are not mutually exclusive. Although perhaps decisive is a better word than assertive.

" He was right of course, right all along. But he was just as dead as if he was wrong."
I'll go along with that. Thanks again John :)

Reactions: stevew

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Yes, getting the balance right is tricky :(. Progress vs Protection.
Another way of being 'assertive' is to attend any public Cycling Demos. It's safer en masse, and with enough people to boost numbers, the action becomes suddenly 'visible' to the media, who influence 'politicons' a lot.
e.g. The National Funeral for the Unknown Victim of Traffic Violence was today. Walked down Oxford St in hundreds, now compare any coverage it attracts to that of the 5000 person LondonCycleCampaign run earlier this year! ;)

Advertisers