If this was a ebike as well then could be the ultimate green transport ?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Whike - Whike

Not convinced of its legality despite their claims.

Edit. Just noticed there is a electric version (Whike W2E)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The problem with wind powered bikes is realised when tacking across the full width of the roads when riding against the wind. Those travelling in the opposite direction tend to get upset. :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whike - Whike

Not convinced of its legality despite their claims.
Interesting point. Superficially it's a motor vehicle since it uses a source of power other than the rider, so definitely not a bicycle looked at that way.

However, the rider's body plus machine including any fairing are subject to wind thrust anyway, as are all vehicles, so it's arguable that the area of the bike is a matter for the designer to maximise for thrust or minimise for streamlining, without altering any legal status. I think this second case holds true.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Interesting but wouldn't like to be caught by a gust that gaps in buildings create let alone being overtaken by an articulated lorry at speed.

What's next, kite biking?

Just found this after posting
Kite Bike Lessons | SB KitesSB Kites
Yep Kite Biking has existed since at least the mid/late 90's and probably longer but thats when I first saw one.

World record is over 50 mph

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
The problem with wind powered bikes is realised when tacking across the full width of the roads when riding against the wind. Those travelling in the opposite direction tend to get upset. :(
In reality I think the idea is that when going up wind you just let the sail loose so it just flaps about.

Also unlike sailing on water a land yacht can get seriously close to straight up wind once it has built up speed and apparant wind.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In reality I think the idea is that when going up wind you just let the sail loose so it just flaps about.
Of course, I was only joking, and on the e-bike version that would take care of against the wind anyway. This could be good in the flatter areas like some eastern counties and the Netherlands where winds can be stable in strength and direction so give consistent thrust. It would be useless in my hilly and high hedged area where winds are gusty and change direction unpredictably from moment to moment and the lanes twist frequently.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Of course, I was only joking, and on the e-bike version that would take care of against the wind anyway. This could be good in the flatter areas like some eastern counties and the Netherlands where winds can be stable in strength and direction so give consistent thrust. It would be useless in my hilly and high hedged area where winds are gusty and change direction unpredictably from moment to moment and the lanes twist frequently.
Yea I realised that but did others :D

and yep your right gusty winds and land sailing do not make for good bed fellows especially in confined spaces.

Advertisers