Inverter to charge ebike from car

robgul

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2017
UK
My usual research (and lack of understanding of such things) has left me bewildered .....

I have a car and I have an ebike (Orbea Gain) .... I am wondering about the reality of an inverter that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car and then for the ebike's charger to plug in and charge [I would expect to do this when driving and thus generating electricity]

Is it feasible? Is it going to blow the car or ebike electrics? What do I need to get?

[As an aside I saw a picture of one of the Team Sky cars that had a twin outlet 13amp socket in the side panel of the boot - pretty cool!]

All guidance appreciated.

Rob

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
There was a thread on this very topic on this forum about 6 months ago...

But the essence is this: A 36-volt 2-amp e-bike charger draws about 90 watts of power. A 12-volt car cigarette/accessory socket is typically limited by it's wiring/fusing to supply around 150 watts of power...

If your e-bike charger uses less than 150 watts of power (say a 36v/2A charger), you can use a cheaper in-car inverter like this Bestek one I use (Amazon - about £40):
bestek inverter sine.jpg
If you have a higher power e-bike charger - such as for a 48-volt battery and/or perhaps a 4-amp charger, even a small inverter like this one would really need connecting directly to the car battery.

You also need to be aware that even a smaller inverter can suck a car battery dry in just a few hours, so as you suggest the engine (alternator) really does need to be running... and if your e-bike battery takes say 5-7 hours to charge, you might need to be driving a good few hundred miles to do that.

Hope that helps.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Advertisers