iPad,iPhone iPod ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I am currently confusing myself (nothing new there then )
I started off wanting an iPod to modernise my eclectic music collection (this week I am mainly listening to Adele....set fire to the rain )
I like the idea of the latest iPod touch,it has camera/video, you can even download skype and use it as a phone....great... now which memory.....ok the 32......
But then I thought.....should I not just get the iphone.....that will do more and play music, but would it be as good as on the iPod ??.....but anyway, I am a nokia brand loyal consumer LOL......
Then I thought.....what if I get the iPod and wish I had gone that bit further and got the iPad2.......now I am running around in circles and getting nowhere......
I think I could do with a bit of outside input if any of you out there can help ?
''sometimes'' I can be a bit indecisive :)

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Yes, I used to be indecisive too Funklyn but now I'm not too sure. The iPad is what you need but check out the cost of running it first.

Indalo
LOL

Why the cost of running it Indalo...does it use a lot of electric or what ?
Or is it just the cost of all those tempting apps ??

Lynda

C

Cyclezee

Hi Funky, firstly may say you have impeccable taste in music, Set Fire To The Rain, has to my favourite track of 2011. My daughter was fortunate to be in the front row at the Brit Awards this year and Adele's stunning live performance stole the show in my opinion, that girl can really sing!

Before you buy anything Apple, check this out iRack - MadTV - YouTube

Oh, and by the way, Samsung Galaxy SII kicks iPhone's ass. Better graphics, better sound, bigger, lighter, cheaper!

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I have experience of the iPad and iPhone, not iPod, also run a MacbookPro and a Macbook Air, What are your priorities:

Mobility - iPad2 is the least mobile

Battery Life - iPhone will have less longevity

Ease of Use - Probably iPad with it's lovely screen and intuitive useability

Price - iPod probably cheapest, iPad most expensive, iPhone on a contract, or if using iPhone without a connection, check used, check used for all items anyway.

Customer Service - definitely stick with Apple, no questions on that one

Connectivity - All three I suppose, depends what you want to use it for? If wanting a phone all-in-one then it's the iPhone. Note there are two versions of the iPad, one without SIM for 3G.

Music - Quality should be on a par across all three but I'm guessing iPod has many more music related features.

Apps - If you want to do more, then iPad or iPhone, Apps on the move it will be the iPhone (as an example I use my iPhone as a GPS with realtime 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 mapping very cheap, Sustrans has a free App which is almost as good and gets used alot and goes to street level mapping).

I use my iPhone as a personal hotspot for my laptops so I have fast mobile broadband on the three network using my free monthly internet allowance. It gets used for tons more stuff also, but too much to list here.

All my Apple gear is very robust, I dented my MBP slightly and was covered under warranty, also had my MBP battery replaced after 30 months FOC, also had my iPhone bumper replaced FOC. Simply brilliant customer service.

Apple should be bringing out the iPhone 5 in the Autumn if you want to wait for that.

Hope this helps.

PS I'm a bit of an Apple Fanbois after years of using Windows, but have no experience of other kit (Android, Samsung tablets etc etc)

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Funky, firstly may say you have impeccable taste in music, Set Fire To The Rain, has to my favourite track of 2011. My daughter was fortunate to be in the front row at the Brit Awards this year and Adele's stunning live performance stole the show in my opinion, that girl can really sing!

Before you buy anything Apple, check this out iRack - MadTV - YouTube

Oh, and by the way, Samsung Galaxy SII kicks iPhone's ass. Better graphics, better sound, bigger, lighter, cheaper!
Thanks.....I hope I have impeccable taste in most things :)
I absolutely LOVE Adele and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that song.
Lucky lucky daughter !

That you tube irack was absolutely hysterical.
I have always had a bit of an aversion to apple but wonder if I may have to bow to the inevitable, the iPod looks really funky.
As for Samsung I have always had Nokia and loved them but I have been looking at the new samsung tablet.
At the end of the day I really just want something for my music but I am just frightened on missing out on anything :)

Funky

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I have experience of the iPad and iPhone, not iPod, also run a MacbookPro and a Macbook Air, What are your priorities:

Mobility - iPad2 is the least mobile

Battery Life - iPhone will have less longevity

Ease of Use - Probably iPad with it's lovely screen and intuitive useability

Price - iPod probably cheapest, iPad most expensive, iPhone on a contract, or if using iPhone without a connection, check used, check used for all items anyway.

Customer Service - definitely stick with Apple, no questions on that one

Connectivity - All three I suppose, depends what you want to use it for? If wanting a phone all-in-one then it's the iPhone. Note there are two versions of the iPad, one without SIM for 3G.

Music - Quality should be on a par across all three but I'm guessing iPod has many more music related features.

Apps - If you want to do more, then iPad or iPhone, Apps on the move it will be the iPhone (as an example I use my iPhone as a GPS with realtime 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 mapping very cheap, Sustrans has a free App which is almost as good and gets used alot and goes to street level mapping).

I use my iPhone as a personal hotspot for my laptops so I have fast mobile broadband on the three network using my free monthly internet allowance. It gets used for tons more stuff also, but too much to list here.

All my Apple gear is very robust, I dented my MBP slightly and was covered under warranty, also had my MBP battery replaced after 30 months FOC, also had my iPhone bumper replaced FOC. Simply brilliant customer service.

Apple should be bringing out the iPhone 5 in the Autumn if you want to wait for that.

Hope this helps.

PS I'm a bit of an Apple Fanbois after years of using Windows, but have no experience of other kit (Android, Samsung tablets etc etc)
Thanks eTim....it certainly does sound like you are a true apple afficionado :)

I suppose really I just want something to organize my music with a few extra add ons.
I think I need to try them somewhere, I think there is an apple store in Exeter it might be worth the trip.
I suppose I would have to be convinced to change from android.
But I intend to look into everything carefully so will let you know what i get.

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Actually Tim....have just read the rumours about a possible iPod 5 release next month that will maybe have
3G connectivity, so I think I will wait a bit longer and see what happens.
Dont suppose you or anyone else knows any more ?
Lynda

C

Cyclezee

Funky,
You are so bad and have no resistance to temptation. Gadgets, animals whatever you can get your hands on.

If Apple made a bike you would want that to...........you have haven't you, don't deny it, you have googled iBike you bad girl. Things are getting out of hand and you need to get a firm grip.

I have a Medion desktop PC with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU, a Medion 10" netbook, Dell 22" widescreen monitor and a Samsung Galaxy SII smartphone.

The Medion stuff came from Aldi and has a 3 year warranty and the whole lot cost less than a MacBook Pro.
OK, so you don't like Microsoft, then you can use Ubuntu or many similar operation systems for free Homepage | Ubuntu

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Funky,
You are so bad and have no resistance to temptation. Gadgets, animals whatever you can get your hands on.

If Apple made a bike you would want that to...........you have haven't you, don't deny it, you have googled iBike you bad girl. Things are getting out of hand and you need to get a firm grip.

I have a Medion desktop PC with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU, a Medion 10" netbook, Dell 22" widescreen monitor and a Samsung Galaxy SII smartphone.

The Medion stuff came from Aldi and has a 3 year warranty and the whole lot cost less than a MacBook Pro.
OK, so you don't like Microsoft, then you can use Ubuntu or many similar operation systems for free Homepage | Ubuntu
:D :D

How did you guess ??
Apparently there is one in the pipeline kitted out with all sorts of gadgets and plug ins.....:D

Sorry, you can stick your medion I have metamorphosed overnight into a true Apple convert....iPhone next week....s** Nokia
I'm getting all excited :D

Funky

MicleArons

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2012
From the iPad/iPhone Newstand app it appears as a paid for item. me too...the pixel mags site just says I don't have a digital subscription, will ...

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Actually Tim....have just read the rumours about a possible iPod 5 release next month that will maybe have
3G connectivity, so I think I will wait a bit longer and see what happens.
Dont suppose you or anyone else knows any more ?
Lynda
Yes its called a iPhone :D or possibly a iPad

Seriously are you sure about this as I really dont see why Apple need to bring out such a device as it would really be a lower spec iPhone/iPad.

The Apps etc on the iPod and iPhone are the same ones with a few minor exceptions (mainly ones that wont work on iPods) So music organisation etc is identical.

If you really dont want to move away from Android how about a iPad Mini ?

Advertisers