Is an undercurrent of racism and misogyny undermining The UK Electric Bike industry?

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
I think it is.
Actually pretty amazing for an industry administered forum. Customers come here for help and it looks like some dealers could make half of their customers uncomfortable and everyone else wants all the the brown customers to go home.

Dunno who is running here but it's not doing the industry any favours. Maybe all their customers feel the same?

It puts me right off.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I think it is.
Actually pretty amazing for an industry administered forum. Customers come here for help and it looks like some dealers could make half of their customers uncomfortable and everyone else wants all the the brown customers to go home.

Dunno who is running here but it's not doing the industry any favours. Maybe all their customers feel the same?

It puts me right off.
You must have a reason for this statement... would you care to share it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As the first ever member of this forum and continuously in here for its eleven years of life, I'm unaware of any racism or misogyny. As someone who detests racism and sexism I'm very sensitive to any sign of their presence.

In the earlier years of ths forum I bemoaned the lack of female members, investigating and highlighting that they were only about 5% of the membership.

So please, if you have any evidence of discrimination, please share so it can be eliminated if in any way present.

P.S. This forum isn't administered by the industry, it was privately founded by the present owner, Russell Scott, who was a commuting e-biker when he founded it.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
He, or she, don't need to prove anything. They just have to perceive it. That's how it is nowadays.

Being more specific might help to rectify the issue. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I reckon Cosybike has been in the Brexit thread. it does that to some people. It's the only place in the forum where people get upset about anything. that thread should be closed down. I'm all for free speech, but go and say it in a Brexit forum, not an Ebike one.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
I think it is.

It puts me right off.
Really. I don't recall stating my ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or posting any pictures of my skin colour on this forum, and just for the record I spend a great deal of my time, unpaid, helping the disenfranchised.

• Informative

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I reckon Cosybike has been in the Brexit thread. it does that to some people. It's the only place in the forum where people get upset about anything. that thread should be closed down. I'm all for free speech, but go and say it in a Brexit forum, not an Ebike one.
Amen to that.... this forum seem to be 90% banging on about Brexit, with the occasional 10% about Ebikes.
Pretty remarkable for an Ebike forum.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Brexit thread is not in an e-bike forum but The Charging Post, specifically stated to be for other subjects. Free speech.

And Cosybike's thread is specifically aimed at the way dealers treat customers, not in any way connected with Brexit or that thread. Hopefully the author will respond to our requests for an explanation. If not we will be able to dismiss the accusation as nonsense.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I was always happy on this forum until the Brexit thread started.
I was amazed to discover the politics of posters that I had considered friends.
Now I understand why officer's messes always banned any mention of politics or women. Having existed for hundreds of years, they had seen too many episodes of pistols at dawn.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cosybike has got a bee in his bonnet from somewhere. Something has obviously upset him to make such a statement and as mentioned probably in the Brexit thread, which most of us don't give a toss about.
SInce I've been on the forum I don't recall any one mentioning race or disparaging remarks to any female members. Folks join and ask for advice not to tell us their race /creed or gender, when necessary they may be asked about their stats to gain info on a bike or drive type that might be suitable.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Cosybike has got a bee in his bonnet from somewhere. Something has obviously upset him to make such a statement and as mentioned probably in the Brexit thread, which most of us don't give a toss about.
SInce I've been on the forum I don't recall any one mentioning race or disparaging remarks to any female members. Folks join and ask for advice not to tell us their race /creed or gender, when necessary they may be asked about their stats to gain info on a bike or drive type that might be suitable.
There is no value in speculating. Cosybike has made a statement . It might be about anything. A few of us(. At least 3 ) have requested him or her to clarify. Either they do or do not... Both tell us something..... Lets leave it at that..

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
it looks like some dealers could make half of their customers uncomfortable and everyone else wants all the the brown customers to go home.

It puts me right off.
There is value in speculation and consideration of concerning points. Perhaps some industries are entrenched in institutionalised 'isms and schisms'. Whether it's an unfounded allegation or not, what's their policy on this?

There may be some value in denial of this blanket allegation. Of which, there have be none so far. Is the customer always considered as being right? Even if the majority think that they may well be wrong. :oops:

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I think that we should just simply ignore this thread. As there has been no reply from the op, I believe this was a flame post. It was put here for no other reason but to stir a foul smelling pot.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol you dont smoke weed you use one of these ;)

had mine 10 years now and still blowing ;)

• :D

Advertisers