Is one bike enough?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I've got one ebike now however, if I get mechanical trouble I have to catch the bus until I can fix it. I'm thinking of getting a backup bike?

I'd like another the same however I'm not going to find one so looking around at second hand market. Realy want front suspension and disc brakes so I'm going to have to be patient and keep looking.

Anyone just run one bike? Or do most here have multiple bikes especially for commuting

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
By all means have a spare bike, but first analyse what might go wrong, likelihood, how to fix, tools and spares that might be needed, defensive strategies to prevent failure and so on.

Then much like fixing a puncture you can put yourself in the position that most things won't go wrong often enough to worry about, and the rest are occasionally inconvenient but you can fix them on the road if necessary

With a looked after hub drive bike used conservatively, the list is quite short!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You are on this forum not so long... One or two months? And already buying a second bike?
Slow down or you will end up like me with bikes everywhere and buying a second shed
;)

• :D
Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I've got one ebike now however, if I get mechanical trouble I have to catch the bus until I can fix it. .......... Realy want front suspension and disc brakes
Presuming that you would only use the 2nd bike until the first one is fixed, so why limit your choice of a secondhand one by wanting suspension and disc brakes?

Anyway, I have 2 ebikes, both TSDZ2 built into old school bikes (both second hand) and the only occasion I've needed 'the spare' is one day I rolled the bike out of the shed to find I'd a puncture and seeing as I had an appointment to get to, I was pleased to have the backup, but TBH that is a bit of a luxury (having 2 ebikes)for such a low occurence of problems.

Having said that, the TSDZ2 donor bikes offer different rides and it's nice to swap over just for the pleasure of it: one is heavier by virtue of more comfortable wider tyres and a large saddle bag full of goodness knows what, and the other has a lighter, livlier frame and runs rather nippily on 25c tyres but is harder on the butt!

Reactions: Wayners

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I have an ebike and a non ebike, sometimes it's nice to ride a lighter bike.
I know what you mean - I have an old school full carbon Trek Madone with Campag kit and when I can be bothered to dust it off and put air in the tyres, it is a joy to wizz around the block on - but I do love my ebike though :cool:

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I have two bikes converted with Yosepower kits. I bought one kit that included a battery and one without. I got a spare battery slider from Yose so that I could use the one battery on either.
I only ride for leisure so it didn't make sense to have two batteries.
You are using your bike to commuting, so just get another cheap bike and fit another Yose kit that comes with the same battery as your existing one so can always have one fully charged.

Reactions: Wayners

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The number of ebikes you need is n+1, where n is the number of ebikes you already have. This is a universal rule of nature, a bit like the normal distribution, it applies to everything - guitars, model aeroplanes, motorbikes, etc.

Reactions: rikcougar

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The number of ebikes you need is n+1, where n is the number of ebikes you already have. This is a universal rule of nature, a bit like the normal distribution, it applies to everything - guitars, model aeroplanes, motorbikes, etc.
Your guitar collection is totally OTT! I suppose I could play the two I have at the same time, if I also used both feet. I'll start tuning them up...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I confess to buying a second bike, intended to be non-electric, because my ebike has ruined my fitness (my fault, not the bike's)... but I have zero enthusiasm for fixing it up and getting it back on the road, because that would surely mean actually having to exercise (aaarrrgggghh! Nooooooo!). I suspect it will languish in my loft forevermore unless I decide upon a conversion, which I really don't need. What I need is exercise.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Titanium Alex

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2023
I've got one ebike now however, if I get mechanical trouble I have to catch the bus until I can fix it. I'm thinking of getting a backup bike?

I'd like another the same however I'm not going to find one so looking around at second hand market. Realy want front suspension and disc brakes so I'm going to have to be patient and keep looking.

Anyone just run one bike? Or do most here have multiple bikes especially for commuting
I've run one bike for over five years. I swap my nobby nics for DTH tyres in deep winter when I'm done offroading. It's not the weather but the combo of dark at 4pm and extreme mud plugging around me in winter. I also stick my mudguards back on winter (mudhuggers)

I've an titanium mtb frame, bbs motor, Lyrik forks, alfine 11 gearing. It's pretty bullet proof and very much a do it all machine.

The only other bike I use is a non electric brompton on rare travel for work/commuting days.

Reactions: joelectric

Titanium Alex

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2023
Just remembered, I also swap my dropper post (summer use when offroading) for a suspension post when using only as my primary transport on roads (winter)

I also regularly cycle with my battery left at home when I'm out with the family (wife n kids)

Advantage of a mid drive is this is easily done. Hubs tend to drag more IMHO (though I'm sure it varies model to model)

Related Articles

Advertisers