Juicy Bike problem...

Steve R

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 31, 2017
Nottingham
Hi,
I've just bought one of these second hand, 2010 but had a new battery 10 months ago. It's the smallest battery so range should be up to 20 miles I think, but on the first ride it started cutting out after about 3 miles. I assume this is what happens when it runs down. The battery display shows all LEDs when it cuts back in but then goes down to one or two as the motor kicks in.

The previous owner said he thought the charger might not be working properly. How do I find out if I need a £30 charger or a £300 battery?

When its charging the LED is green, even after 7 miles and having just plugged it in. Does it go out when it's charged or turn red?

Steve.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Steve
Some of our older charges will not charge our latest batteries, so it could well be a charger issue. Does it get warm when charging?

Steve R

Jan 31, 2017
Nottingham
Hi Steve
Some of our older charges will not charge our latest batteries, so it could well be a charger issue. Does it get warm when charging?
The battery doesn't but the charger certainly does. I noticed by fiddling with the plug into the battery I got the light on the charger to go from green to red. Does this mean it's now charging and before when I plugged it in and the charger light stayed green it wasn't?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
That sounds right Steve.
Your battery or charger seems to have a faulty connector which can be repaired.

Give us a call during the daytime and we can discuss the best way to proceed.

Steve R

Jan 31, 2017
Nottingham
That sounds right Steve.
Your battery or charger seems to have a faulty connector which can be repaired.

Give us a call during the daytime and we can discuss the best way to proceed.
Sorry couldn't call today. Managed to get a couple of hours charge in it last night (red light shining bright on the charger). Set off this morning and it felt good but after 200 yards as the road went very slightly uphill it started cutting out again so went home and dug the motorbike out.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Probably a good idea to send us both battery and charger so we can take a look. When you can get time call the workshop for details.
I'm sure we can get you back on the road.

Steve R

Jan 31, 2017
Nottingham
Update: visited Juicy Bikes. Needed a new battery (it wasn't 10 months old!) and a new charger. Oh well, my bargain bike is no longer a bargain, but it works.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Regrettably, I suspect the seller knew very well what the problem was.

At least you got decent support from Juicy.

Sorting it could have been a lot more complicated on a 2010 'no name' Chinese ebike.

Advertisers