soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
whats the prices on new motors?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
+ postage from BAEB. £105.70

Price has not been £130 since dramatic drop in euro.

But for anyone looking to buy from a UK dealer or Test before they buy.

We are able to help rip you off and lie to you and change our web site prices but not fast enough for soundwave to catch us with our snickers down.

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Well done soundwave lets hope they feel guilty however there is another dealer on pedalecs that charge a whopping £150 for there dongle and they give the impression that it's covered by Bosch/Yamaha warranty when it's not.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
Hi, does anyone know if this (or any) dongle works with the new Kalkhoff Integrale 8, which has an Impulse Evo motor?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi, does anyone know if this (or any) dongle works with the new Kalkhoff Integrale 8, which has an Impulse Evo motor?
The dongle clips on the speed sensor on the chain stay.

The Integrale has one of those, so it's likely the dongle will physically fit.

Assumptions are always tricky, but it seems likely to me the speed sensing electronics part of the new Evo motor will be similar to Impulse, and therefore capable of being fooled by a lower speed reading, which is what the dongle does.

Badass are known for good customer service, so you could ask, or just buy one.

I'm sure they would refund you if the dongle didn't work on Evo.

They might even be grateful for someone to try it.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
I haven't bought the bike yet! But uprated speed (off road of course) sounds fun, and the S11 version of this bike adds another £800. I did ask Badass a while back, but I don't think they had tested it because it's a quite a new bike. If I buy the bike (maybe order at the NEC show this week) I guess I'll have to take a risk on whether a dongle works or not.

One other question: do you think there is literally NO difference between the S11 and S8 versions of the Integrale other than one is limited (which a dongle will fix) and the other is not? The specs are on this page: http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en/bikes/e-bike/e-performance.html

Thanks.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The S11 would be 350W. The motors are the same but the amps given to them by the controllers is presumably higher. So the S pedelec version will be more powerful. A dongle will not give more power it will just allow the motor to run past the legal cut out speed. Won’t help you on hills at all.

BTW off road doesn’t mean anything. It’s still illegal. Kalkhoffs don’t cut out until just over 17mph since they use the ten percent tolerance in the law. That makes a big difference in practice, particularly as they will pedal well on the flat unlike some e bikes. They can be kept a few mph above that dipping into assist when the road rises. You won’t be able to keep the speed on the flat that you can on a good road bike but you more than make it up when the road goes uphill.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I haven't bought the bike yet! But uprated speed (off road of course) sounds fun, and the S11 version of this bike adds another £800. I did ask Badass a while back, but I don't think they had tested it because it's a quite a new bike. If I buy the bike (maybe order at the NEC show this week) I guess I'll have to take a risk on whether a dongle works or not.

One other question: do you think there is literally NO difference between the S11 and S8 versions of the Integrale other than one is limited (which a dongle will fix) and the other is not? The specs are on this page: http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en/bikes/e-bike/e-performance.html

Thanks.
The S11 is a speed pedelec and has Shimano's 11 speed hub gear.

The 8 - there is no 'S' - is an ordinary pedelec and has Shimano's eight speed hub gear.

You will note the S bike also has a mounting for a rear number plate.

You are correct that a dongle will remove the speed limit.

Kalkhoff quote the S bike as having a 350w motor, and the ordinary bike as having a 250w motor.

However, the thinking is they are the same motor.

People who have ridden Kalkhoff's other S pedelecs - also quoted as 350w - say the only difference is the motor doesn't cut out at 15mph.

It may be, as John Cade says, the controller does give a few more amps in the 350w version.

Whatever, the ordinary Evo will be plenty for your needs.

The eight speed hub, curiously, is a benefit, because it appears to be stronger and more reliable than the 11.

John's point about the cut off is also a good one, assuming the Integrale behaves the same way.

The extra 2-3mph might not sound a lot, but it takes a bit of getting on a bicycle, so will make quite a difference compared to a bike that cuts out at 15.5mph dead.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
Things are sounding better the more you guys talk about it. Seems the Integrale 8 is the one to go for then!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Things are sounding better the more you guys talk about it. Seems the Integrale 8 is the one to go for then!
It's a good choice in lots of ways, particularly for someone like you who doesn't sound very interested in bicycles for their own sake.

Complete, properly made, low maintenance, quality package which ought to be reliable.

Just consider if it's the right style of bike for your riding.

The Germans call them trekking bikes, suitable for road and well-made cycle paths.

I'm guessing that should do you.

Already fitted with a carrier, mudguards and decent lights.

All nice to haves, you will be out for a few hours at time, so will want to take some drinks and snacks.

You are bound to cop a bit of rain at some point, so the guards will come in handy.

During the shorter days it's likely the last hour or two of a ride may be in gathering gloom - no worries about that with lights always to hand.

Good job all round.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
Yep, roads and cycle paths - NOT off road. Carrier bags I'd add for rain coats and refreshements.

I'm going to head to the Bike show on friday, make sure I choose the right size frame.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bad ass will do you a bracket if it dont fit as others have had them for there bikes.

they will do the old 3.2 if you ask them first then its 75kph cut off.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
Sorry, did you say 75kph? 46mph! Can the bike handle that kind of speed (I mean structurally and mechanically)? Why was 3.3 reduced then?

Also is there any way around that the speed shown on the display will show correctly or is it a case of working it out in your head? Not sure what it would display say from 0-30mph (does it drop mid acceleration?).

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bike could do 46mph, but you wouldn't like it.

Motors aside, the gearing probably wouldn't be up to it.

All ebikes are heavy, so they do pick up speed down hill.

The dongle, when used on a Bosch bike, cuts in at about 11mph, so the speedo goes to about half speed at that point.

I expect the Integrale will behave in a similar way.

No way around that, although you could fit a small, wired, speedo which would give a correct reading.

They are only about £5 from Halfords.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes 46mph tho try peddling it that fast i run out of gears at 35 on my bike and will need a bigger front sprocket on front just makes the bike to fast on the roads and a bugger to get going.

tho if you crash going that sort of speed you will destroy the bike and send it cartwheeling down the road lol.

i just use a cheap speedo from halfords 6 quid for the right speed

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
But my dream (seriously) is a wireless world. I want my life to be wire free before I die - I hate the damn things.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Advertisers