KD58C on Viking, Error 30

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Just been presented with a Viking Freedom bike with a KD58C display/ control unit

Owner lost battery and a cycle shop tried to fit new one, but could not get it to work.
I put 40 volts up it and neither could I get it to work, until I tried long press on display unit button.

It now does work, Pedal Assist works fine, but give it 30 -40 seconds, even with bike stationary, and Error 30 appears.

Seems to be a communication issue.
Have pulled and reseated all the plugs except for checking anything within the display unit. All plugs pulled, sprayed with a little ACF50 and reseated.

Bike in good condition, not as if it has been dropped and has no scuffed cables, or obvious cable damage.

any one have any thoughts?
No point in spending £180 on new battery only to find there is more terminal fault within the display unit

IMG_9037.jpegIMG_9028.jpegIMG_9027.jpeg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My thoughts: Owner lost battery, right. I can just imagine it, "That battery was definitely on the bike when I set off for the town centre, but now it's gone. Where the hell did it fall off?"

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
the manual for your headset found on the Woosh web site says err30 is a coms error with the headset.

with both my KT and noname controllers shorting the red/blue wires from the controller in the headset cable allow me to run the bikes headless (without a controller) @pas level1 and with throttle speed control (if fitted)
so if you remove the headset and short the red and blue wires in the connecting cable the bike should run without the headset .. Should allow you to validate everything else with the bike at least..
And perhaps open and clean the headset internals looking for obvious probs.

but where is the 40v coming from a dodgy power supply could easily be at the root of this error, I have no idea how the controller system initialises but with all the heavy drain electronic components fitted?? beg or borrow a 3 x car batteries to get a 36v source that can handle a significant drain if an ebike battery is beyond reach atm.

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
40 volt is my own battery from another random ‘36 volt’ e-bike battery

A hot off charge battery for this bike would be 41.8 -42 volts… same as any ‘nominal’ 36 volt battery.

Original charger was not lost and that is 42 volt.

I could perhaps try to rig up a 9 series pack of lower voltage … just as test, but specs I see, and going on past experience, 40v should be just fine for ‘36 volt controller with 29v LVC

I have found a complete set of wiring excluding motor on e-bay for exact bike… heck,, best I check messages… I sent seller a message.
Might try shorting red and blue to see. Red being positive, blue showing as ‘lock’ Will Check to see if it is battery voltage or 5v before I do this though…

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
My thoughts: Owner lost battery, right. I can just imagine it, "That battery was definitely on the bike when I set off for the town centre, but now it's gone. Where the hell did it fall off?"
Hah hah ! Yes sounds about right. I did not ask

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
That is great, thanks

On phone now will read up more tonight on big screen

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Well just been back to the bike, and even with the error 30 on screen, it still works, the PAS works, motor runs.

Pulled and reseated all plugs and all look good, no bent pins.
Will just leave it to customer to see if they want to risk £180 or so on new rack and battery. Can’t even see water bottle mounts for bottle type battery, and frame shape does not really lend itself to fitting one.

Advertisers