KTM Macina - power cutting out

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
had bike just over 2 years & recently been having trouble with power cutting out.
Took back to shop & they carried out software update. Bike has been fine for about 10 days but has started happening again. Ride to work on Friday morning & it cut out several times but no problem going home. Used Sunday & again cut out several times.
Riding in this morning was fine for 3 miles & then cut out frequently.
Typically the bike loses power then the display goes out after about 10 seconds. If I turn it back on it usually works fine again,sometimes for a few minutes sometimes longer. I have also had error code 530 come up which looks like faulty power pack.
So I need to arrange for it to go back for further investigation. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and if it is a major issue like faulty battery do Bosch/KTM offer any goodwill towards repair cost?
many thanks

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Have you removed the plastic cover from around the battery terminal / connector which is fitted to the frame ?

They can get coated in crud and corrosion and this may lead to bad connections from your battery.

Also check the same under the handlebar display....

Clean ALL the electrical connections and finally spray them with electrical terminal cleaner ( can get this from city elec factors ) NOT wd40...

It sounds like a bad connection..just work back along the cables , check them for any signs of breaks etc and dirty connectors before considering getting a new battery

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
I had cleaned connectors etc with contact cleaner but still had problem. Went back to shop last week & had further diagnosis. Recorded fault was communication error with battery. They have also cleaned everything & suspect issue with battery connector. They have reported their findings to Bosch & awaiting their advice.
The bike has behaved perfectly all week.

nhoj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2014
had bike just over 2 years & recently been having trouble with power cutting out.
Took back to shop & they carried out software update. Bike has been fine for about 10 days but has started happening again. Ride to work on Friday morning & it cut out several times but no problem going home. Used Sunday & again cut out several times.
Riding in this morning was fine for 3 miles & then cut out frequently.
Typically the bike loses power then the display goes out after about 10 seconds. If I turn it back on it usually works fine again,sometimes for a few minutes sometimes longer. I have also had error code 530 come up which looks like faulty power pack.
So I need to arrange for it to go back for further investigation. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and if it is a major issue like faulty battery do Bosch/KTM offer any goodwill towards repair cost?
many thanks
Do you get odd maximum speed ?

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
Do you get odd maximum speed ?
no, never had odd speed displayed.
I'm hopeful problem is resolved now. The shop found the plastic cover that goes over the battery terminal was missing.. They have cleaned & realigned connectors & a new part was fitted this weekend. Has behaved perfectly for 4 weeks now.

Advertisers