Labyrinthitis

Low

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
England norfolk
Hi all, still cant get this new build to balance up so bit the bullet and unwrapped it, painfull..

Its a 13s 7p job of brand new samsungs... Cant get it above 53volts at green light.. Once "fully" charged at 53 a blue flashing light goes off on the bms.. Cant find much on what this means?

So volt metre out and it would appear all banks are 4.09 apart from unlucky bank 7 which is 4.22.

Two questions really (one of them prob very dumb)

1) whats the blue flashing light mean on my bms?

2) As i can test the voltage with my volt metre across one bank, could i use croc clips and my imax to drain some volts out of unlucky no7 while its still all attached?

Im guessing now that one cell is rogue and im looking at a rebuild but just cant belive thst id be so unlucky on brand new cells, or that iv damaged anything during the spot welded build, is it out of the question for the pack to de-balance this much on its own without any actual hardware fault?

Soz thats 3 questions

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think the blue light registers when a string reaches 4.2v.
Try discharging the battery to 3.75/8v then balance the 6 strings via the bms to match string 7 then try a full balance charge to see what happens before you try any dismantling.
It may be worth doing this 3 or 4 times to see if it all balances out.

Low

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
England norfolk
Thanks for responding Neal, i dont really understand your response tho... The battery is a 13series, im not sure what balance the 6 strings via the bms mean:(

Really appreciate your help tho sorry i havnt been able keep with u... I am getting there but am still an infant at this.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I think he got the s and p's mixed up. If you have a ballence charger set it to storage 3.8 volts per P group and charge as normal. Otherwise go for a ride and charge several times and the inbuilt balancing ccts (bms) should improve the overall balance i.e. All at or around 4.2v( that's what it's their for)
No 2 is also an option

Last edited:

Low

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
England norfolk
That i get, ty Dave, il give it a go, suspect iv got a dud tho as i think i sparked that group during the build.

Ty Neal/D8ve

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
build it with fuses next time ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My bad Low, yes sorry 13s. Ride or discharge the battery to about 3.75/8v bring the other 12 strings up to the high strings voltage so they are even then try a full balance /charge hopefully after a few they will pan out even or within 00.1/00.2v or as d8ve says use the balance charger to discharge & charge.

Your balance wires (thin ones) connect each cell string to the jst connecter block to your bms so you have either 13 or 14 wires, through this block you can charge each string independently with out the bms but you need to keep an eye on the string voltage manually.

D

Deleted member 4366

My guess is that one cell of the 7 is not welded properly in that string.

Low

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
England norfolk
Well, under a messy cross section of nicol guess what had not welded properly!! Battery 5 group 7

And the winner is.....

D8v!!

And the loser is.....

Me!!

Reactions: D8ve

Advertisers