Lafree rear wheel enquiry

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
Has anyone got any tips for removing the rear wheel (Nexus 3 speed hub) I have to replace the inner tube, the centre of the Presta valve blew out the other day, the manual tells you how to remove the front wheel (blindingly obvious) but there is not a word about removing the rear wheel!! My experience has been with derailleur gears up till now.
Also how many teeth does the rear sprocket on the standard Lafree have & where is the best place to get them from? I have a new chain ring & motor drive sprocket & I am thinking of replacing (including the chain) them all at the same time.

Derrick - Llanberis

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Put it in middle gear. Release the rear V brake by unhooking the outer cable from the stirrup by passing the inner wire through the slot. Then start the wheel removal by detaching the gear actuator from the r/h rear spindle. To do that, have a look at the illustration on this tech document, specifically at the bell crank box at the right, and you'll see the cover number 30 which you take off if fitted. Then undo securing bolt number 29 and the bell crank will slide outwards of the spindle.

Then withdraw the pushrod number 26 and put it to one side where it wont be damaged.

Now you can undo the wheelnuts on both sides and slide the rear wheel out of the frame slots, lifting off the chain from the sprocket. Depending on the tyres fitted, you may have to deflate the tyre to do that since there is very little clearance at the front between the tyre tread and the lower mudguard fixing bolt when the wheel is slid forward in the slots on your model.

Refitting is the reverse, making sure the bell crank housing is fully on and the fixing bolt 29 properly located on the spindle. You may have to adjust the gear change cable very slightly afterwards to correct any error, but probably not.

Last edited:

Advertisers