Larger Front Sprocket

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
Just purchased a Wisper Works 805FE folder 24volt. A very nice little folder which easily fits into the back of a 'very' small car. Is it easy to retrofit a larger Chain Sprocket so that at least I can do some work at the top speed the motor alone provides.
Second question: the bike came with 4 batteries (#1-4) and a charger - #1 is excellent showing and holding 28.6V, #2 is showing 28.0V and cuts out at around 7 miles. #3 and 4 cut out after a few hundred yards. Can these batteries be repaired - if so does anyone want #3 and 4 at cost of postage only.

Best regards

lee-wave

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Sometimes they can be recovered, sometimes not. Depends what's wrong.

I would be happy to take a look at them and see if they can be fixed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If your older Works 805fe has a similar type of chainwheel as the current one, it will have a 5 spoke spider. That is, the centre of the chainwheel with crank arm attached has 5 arms and a toothed chainring is bolted onto it.

If that's the case, it's just a matter of buying a larger suitable chainring. For that you need a five spoke chainring with the correct BCD and this webpage will explain that for you.

This second webpage illustrates the Wisper 805fe I'm referring to, though that has twin chainrings. Let us know if your chainwheel centre is different, and how.

Last edited:

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
Mike I see you are in Devon I hope you are not flooded - what would be the best way to get these batteries to you.
Flecc thanks for the website - Probably get a larger sprocket with more teeth from my local bike shop.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Mike I see you are in Devon I hope you are not flooded - what would be the best way to get these batteries to you.
Flecc thanks for the website - Probably get a larger sprocket with more teeth from my local bike shop.
Thanks for the concern, we're ok at the mo.

Where are you? If we have to post them, then MyHermes is probably the cheapest way to go.

I will PM you my details.

Last edited:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I would just find out what size and then buy a chainring online. Local bike shops tend to only stock high end stuff or want loads as it tends to only be carbon riding roadies who want them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chainrings?sort=pricelow

Also be careful that your front deraileur can take it, most are designed to work well with a specific set of chainrings and going much bigger can make them really sucky.

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
Thanks Clockwise - I might try a chainring with 52 teeth simply screwed in on the outside of the current chainring. The added advantage would be to moving the chain over to be more in line with the highest gear.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thank you Tony and Clockwise for your input, you are most kind.

Lee-Wave, I hope all is sorted, did you manage to fit a larger chain wheel?

Best regards

David

Advertisers