Leaving battery on bike

Laoúra

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 5, 2016
Cambridgeshire
This is probably a daft question, but is it OK to leave your battery connected on your bike when you're not using it? I mean such as overnight when it's in a garage or a shed.

I've only just got the bike and for the first part of the week brought it into the house for charging each night, but realised that the battery didn't seem to have gone down at all during the day so didn't charge it last night. Tonight when I got home it was still showing full battery, so I just switched it off but left it in place on the bike.

Any thoughts? Should I be charging it each night or leave it until it has lost a bit of charge? Should I disconnect from the bike each night?

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can charge every two or three days no problem.

The bottle battery was on my first bike for over 12 months because I charge at the bottom of the stairs.

• Informative

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Always bring the battery indoors, I've never found that to be inconvenient and there's slightly less risk of the bike being stolen if there is no battery attached.
....If the bike does get stolen....the thief will not get the battery :)
.....be lucky....Mike

Reactions: Laoúra

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Best to keep batteries out of damp and temperature changes sheds have

Also the battery is likely the single most expensive component on the bike!

I'd keep it indoors and off the bike.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
5 Months, first bike so far for me. I've always left the battery on the bike in the garage. I've left it plugged in, like a trickle charge. Is that a bad thing?

I figure that once the battery dies, due to the price of them, it's probably time for a new bike. A new £1k monster. No more than that.

Laoúra

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 5, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Thanks to all - I think I will start bringing it in - it's no big deal to do this for me and you're right, it's worth a lot of ££s - probably about half the cost of my bike!

Advertisers