Look at this absolute beast...12kW ebike!!!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They make the usual mistake of saying it's street legal when switched to the 250 watt mode. It's not of course when such mode switching is under the rider's control. Termed an "off-road" switch by the DfT, they are emphatic that these are illegal.

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
It's not that Good looking is it..image.jpeg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
has dual front disc rotors lol must need it to stop 45kg:eek:

derocco

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Switzerland
This can never have 12kw

I own a stealth bomber 5.2kw and it goes 80km/h
So where is the the benefit of +7KW? (it even is lighter then Bomber....)

Strange..

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's 12kw and lasts an hour on a 1.5kwh battery. That's great engineering that is.

I had a little go on one of these yesterday.
Jumping off my BBS01 36V 250W equipped bike really showed what a different beast it is.
84V 5000W hub motor delivered plentiful torque, grabbing a handful of throttle resulted in an awesome power wheelie, albeit not a particularly controllable one.
Top end Rockshox suspension, saint hydros, touch screen display, finger print recognition, they don't scrimp on any finishing gear.
It was weighty at 48.5kg, but considered as an electric motor crosser, mighty fine bit of kit.
Completely different gravy to a road legal EAPC, things like these should able to be EASILY road registered, get number plate, insurance and replace old motorbikes up to 500cc.
Impressed, but dubious about ownership and amount of use it would get right now. Maybe in 5 years?
Pushing things forward for sure :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I had a little go on one of these yesterday.
Jumping off my BBS01 36V 250W equipped bike really showed what a different beast it is.
84V 5000W hub motor delivered plentiful torque, grabbing a handful of throttle resulted in an awesome power wheelie, albeit not a particularly controllable one.
Top end Rockshox suspension, saint hydros, touch screen display, finger print recognition, they don't scrimp on any finishing gear.
It was weighty at 48.5kg, but considered as an electric motor crosser, mighty fine bit of kit.
Completely different gravy to a road legal EAPC, things like these should able to be EASILY road registered, get number plate, insurance and replace old motorbikes up to 500cc.
Impressed, but dubious about ownership and amount of use it would get right now. Maybe in 5 years?
Pushing things forward for sure :)

I wonder what the 5kw 84V motor and controller combo is? Am contemplating converting a micro car and that may just be enough

D

Deleted member 4366

I wonder what the 5kw 84V motor and controller combo is? Am contemplating converting a micro car and that may just be enough
have a look on Endless-sphere, there's loads of people using motors like that there, and loads of info about that bike.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
This can never have 12kw

I own a stealth bomber 5.2kw and it goes 80km/h
So where is the the benefit of +7KW? (it even is lighter then Bomber....)

Strange..
Of course it can. Power comes from a combination of volts and amps.

12kW = 82V * 145A

This isn't likely to go much faster than a Bomber, but it will accelerate lots quicker.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I think the motor is a QS 260. Not sure about the controller, but since choices are limited at these power levels it's likely to be either a Sabvoton, SevCon or Kelly controller.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Not my sort of thing at all, but it certainly puts other home builds to shame by not having ugly battery bags and a mess of wires and cabling. At least it is all contained and hidden.

I'm always puzzled why battery bags and a dogs dinner of wiring seems to be the accepted norm of pedelec builds. Attention to detail seems to be very lacking on the part of self build bikes.

Reactions: chris_n

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Not my sort of thing at all, but it certainly puts other home builds to shame by not having ugly battery bags and a mess of wires and cabling. At least it is all contained and hidden.

I'm always puzzled why battery bags and a dogs dinner of wiring seems to be the accepted norm of pedelec builds.
Battery bags are popular for a number of reasons.

1) They're cheap.
2) They're easily adaptable to a wide range of frame shapes and sizes.
3) They provide a certain amount of protection to their contents due to their padded construction.
4) They're a lot easier to create a rattle-free build than when using a hard enclosure.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I think the motor is a QS 260. Not sure about the controller, but since choices are limited at these power levels it's likely to be either a Sabvoton, SevCon or Kelly controller.
have a look on Endless-sphere, there's loads of people using motors like that there, and loads of info about that bike.
many thanks, very helpful

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

12kW = 82V * 145A

This isn't likely to go much faster than a Bomber, but it will accelerate lots quicker.
so is it aerodynamics that limit the top speed? read somewhere that one needs 8kw to propel an average car at 60mph on a level road..

I'm always puzzled why battery bags and a dogs dinner of wiring seems to be the accepted norm of pedelec builds.
Being a purpose built machine, designed and built from the ground up, one would expect concealed wiring. My thoughts are how accessible key components are? Has the design considered ease of maintenance?
Exposed wiring and battery bags are understandably par for the course with home builds, especially those on a budget where spending commonly goes on more power opposed to looking pretty.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

12kW = 82V * 145A

that would empty 4 hobbyking 6S 20A/h Lipos in 10 mins at full throttle!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
so is it aerodynamics that limit the top speed? read somewhere that one needs 8kw to propel an average car at 60mph on a level road..
There's a number of factors that limit top speed that include:

Voltage
Motor winding
Gearing/wheel size

As long as there is enough power on tap to overcome aero resistance for a given speed, power won't be the limiting factor.

8kW for 60mph sounds about right though.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
that would empty 4 hobbyking 6S 20A/h Lipos in 10 mins at full throttle!
Only if travelling uphill. On flat ground, power output lessens as you approach top speed.

Anyway, the motor would likely overheat and fail before the battery gives up if drawing a constant 12kW. In reality though this wouldn't happen since the power would be automatically dialled-down once the motor temperature reaches critical levels.

Advertisers