Looks like new battery technology

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there is so little technical details about this - cotton electrodes? how thick the electrodes are going to be? a modern Lithium battery is 15 micron thick.
It sounds so low tech to me.
until the patents are granted, it's vapourware.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
there is so little technical details about this - cotton electrodes? how thick the electrodes are going to be? a modern Lithium battery is 15 micron thick.
It sounds so low tech to me.
until the patents are granted, it's vapourware.
Oh Well, thought I`d just report what had been broadcast, never mind aye!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes. It can solve weather change too.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
The company provides a clear example of the faster recharge speed—they claim that a battery the size of the one used in a Nissan Leaf, which currently takes approximately four hours to charge, could be charged in just twelve minutes. As part of the announcement, reps for the company said that Power Japan will only be making the batteries for specialty applications such as medical devices or for use in satellites—they've already built a production facility that they say will be churning out thousands of the new batteries by the end of the year. As for batteries to be used in cars, the company says it will be licensing the technology to other companies who will in turn make the batteries for installation and use in a wide variety of vehicles.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-05-power-japan-dual-carbon-battery.html#jCp

Andrew

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that kind of statement makes me cringe. So they make AA size batteries for pound shops but give no gravimetric and volumetric energy density on this invention.
Boiler room operation I reckon.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just another silly battery advance announcement which will never see the light of day. Researchers in all fields, real or fake, do this all the time since they need to raise funds from the gullible. In this respect crowd funding has been a bonanza for them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the idea is interesting though. Reading between the lines, it's a kind of supercapacitor built with chemistry instead of thin film, not intercalation, not redox but something in between - may mimic the natural world. You remember how interesting the Krebs cycle is? the professor may have discover the equivalent of ADP/ATP with Lithium. I'll try to look up his work later.
Edit:
I think I found it:
http://patent.ipexl.com/U2S/20060162150-a1.html
Fluorinated carbon active material United States Patent Application 20060162150-A1

Disclosed is an improved type of fluorinated carbon (CFx) for use in electrical storage devices such as batteries and capacitors. The CFx is coated with a conductive material such as gold or carbon using vapor deposition. The resulting material exhibits better conductivity with concomitant lower impedance, higher electrical stability, and improved potential throughout the useful life of the device, as compared to uncoated CFx. The improved conductivity reduces the amount of nonactive material (e.g., carbon black) that needs to be added, thus improving the volumetric energy density. In addition, cells made with the subject CFx exhibit more constant voltages and higher overall voltage (2.0 volts with a lithium metal anode) throughout their useful life. Chemical or physical vapor deposition techniques to deposit a variety of metals or carbon may be used to create the improved CFx. The coated CFx may be used in primary or secondary batteries, as well as capacitors and hybrid devices. Methods for making and using the coated CFx are described.
professor Ishihara works on fuel cells, not Lithium batteries - it looks like a boiler room job to me. Rubbish the competition to annoy them enough so that they buy you out.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

Advertisers