misleading the public again ????

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/bobby-beat-electric/

No he is not a BOBBY, '' A police Officer''

He is a Police Community Support Officer !!!

The Press offices and PR gurus at Police Forces and the Home Office constantly push the presence of PCSO'S

The MAJORITY of the public see a uniform, hi-viz jacket and immediately think that's is a police officer....

Policing on the cheap!!!!!

I bet not much cycling gets done once the hype settles....Our local PCSO'S seem to spend all day in ASDA Café especially when its cold and raining !!!!!!!!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Our PCSO is absolutely brilliant, mind he's the only uniformed officer we see.
Makes your point valid though.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Strange to remember where the term "Bobby" came from, originally it was no doubt because of Sir Robert Peel being a founding father of the force, though an urban legend about it suggested an alternative source of the name, when putting patrols on two wheels came in way back in the early sixties the police has a similar idea using 200cc Side Valve water cooled Velocette motorbikes, which looked like a sort of scooter, very quiet and known on the streets as "Whispering Death" by teenage motorcyclists as one could sneak up on them, without them hearing it coming!
Anyway some safety conscious senior police officer thought that it would be unsafe for them to salute him when riding these bikes, so they were instructed to bob their heads instead of salute.
I guess it's one of those cases of pick which version you prefer!

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/bobby-beat-electric/

No he is not a BOBBY, '' A police Officer''

He is a Police Community Support Officer !!!

The Press offices and PR gurus at Police Forces and the Home Office constantly push the presence of PCSO'S

The MAJORITY of the public see a uniform, hi-viz jacket and immediately think that's is a police officer....

Policing on the cheap!!!!!

I bet not much cycling gets done once the hype settles....Our local PCSO'S seem to spend all day in ASDA Café especially when its cold and raining !!!!!!!!
There are some good PCSOs who are worth 2 of certain types of police officer. The reverse also applies, so this comes down to the character and work ethic of the individuals who are employed in each role.

The eagerness to blurr the line between PCSO and Police Officer is a deliberately calculated act intended to deceive the public, and it works. The uniforms are intentionally similar and the practice of casually referring to PCSOs as police officers reinforces this perception. The two are very different and are supposed to carry out different roles in the community. However, the temptation to use PCSOs as window dressing in order to hoodwink the public has proven irresistible. Some forces are planning PCSO redundancies, which is a tradegy because dedicated, skilled and hard working people will be lost.

This casual, but fiendishly calculated use of incorrect naming is present in other areas too. For example, calling a teaching assistant a teacher in order to create the illusion that a school is adequately staffed. Another example is calling an economic migrant or a foreign national seeking free health care at other people's expense, a refugee in an attempt to suppress public anger.

Reactions: stumpy150

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
This casual, but fiendishly calculated use of incorrect naming is present in other areas too. For example, calling a teaching assistant a teacher in order to create the illusion that a school is adequately staffed. Another example is calling an economic migrant or a foreign national seeking free health care at other people's expense, a refugee in an attempt to suppress public anger.

#5 tillson, Today at 7:48 AM

I rather think it works in reverse too - refugees are called 'migrants'.

Reactions: damian and flecc

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Policemen were at one time known
as Bobby Peelers. Here in Boston, the local youth used to refer to them as Sh*t Skinners. Not much you can add to that.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
One of the worst cases is the 29 Meps who seemingly operate in secret as their actions are never reported to the Public.
Considering a quarter of them are UKIP you have to wonder why they bother to go to meetings in Brussels at all.
I suspect they all have a brief to avoid any from of publicity at home as standard working procedure.
This helps to give the impression the EU simply imposes rules on us that we have had no part in forming: handy excuse hmm?
Strange that we have a set of secret politicians allegedly representing us, isn't it?

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Strange to remember where the term "Bobby" came from, originally it was no doubt because of Sir Robert Peel being a founding father of the force, though an urban legend about it suggested an alternative source of the name, when putting patrols on two wheels came in way back in the early sixties the police has a similar idea using 200cc Side Valve water cooled Velocette motorbikes, which looked like a sort of scooter, very quiet and known on the streets as "Whispering Death" by teenage motorcyclists as one could sneak up on them, without them hearing it coming!
Anyway some safety conscious senior police officer thought that it would be unsafe for them to salute him when riding these bikes, so they were instructed to bob their heads instead of salute.
I guess it's one of those cases of pick which version you prefer!
If my memory serves me right it was Noddy not Bobby as they were required to nod to senior officers rather than salute. And as for sneaking up on teenage motorcyclists they had no chance against my 650 Triton which could run away and hide in first gear from any noddy bike. Even a 175 Bantam could py$$ on them from a great height. Good fun back then and a friendly pint and a laugh with the guys when off duty later. Good blokes back then proper policing , 6 ft 6" quietly spoken highlanders, not the box ticking pot bellied wee nasties running around now . And as for their ferret faced pony tailed scrawny female sidekicks,don't start me.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I remember well the so called "noddy bikes" and had a few run ins with the local bobby mostly with carrying a passenger with L plates usually. On one occasion we were caught and I was made to get off and walk home (we couldn't escape 2 up on a Tiger Cub), but the biggest problem was that he knew where we lived, and threats to have a word with my Father were a real threat, unlike to todays 16 year olds....

Reactions: Kinninvie

Advertisers