Motor Siezed

GaryC7659

Just Joined
Dec 15, 2014
Hi All

Looking at some of the questions on here I feel humbled at the depth of knowledge, perhaps I could tap into some of it

My wife has a KTM mtb with Bosche pedal assist drive system. My problem is that the pedals no longer assist. In fact, they desist. Completely.
I've removed the chain but they will not turn forwards at all, although they will freewheel backwards.
The bike has been left for a couple of months after her last ride (I've been injured) and maybe water ingress when cleaned

Can anybody tender any ideas or advice before I enter the shop system?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi All

Looking at some of the questions on here I feel humbled at the depth of knowledge, perhaps I could tap into some of it

My wife has a KTM mtb with Bosche pedal assist drive system. My problem is that the pedals no longer assist. In fact, they desist. Completely.
I've removed the chain but they will not turn forwards at all, although they will freewheel backwards.
The bike has been left for a couple of months after her last ride (I've been injured) and maybe water ingress when cleaned

Can anybody tender any ideas or advice before I enter the shop system?

Thanks in advance

Gary
... Sounds bad. Are you saying that the pedals and crank will only rotate anticlockwise and there is a complete block on forward ( clockwise) rotation? Whether there is power applied or otherwise. That would imply that the freewheel which should engage when you are peddling faster than the assist level has sized. Something like pawls rusted and locked in place
I suspect that it is a shop stripdown and rebuild problem, but you could try some WD 40 or similar light penetrating oil as a first step. Put bike on side and dribble Light oil around any apertures near the peddles and crank, rotate the crank anticlockwise multiple times and occasionally try clockwise .. you have nothing to lose except a can of oil. One of the bike suppliers have a range of lubrication freeing oils available sometimes in aldi which helps free chains etc. .. the name muc off , I have found it very pleasant smell and very effective.

I would not recommend opening the motor up without having access to the torque settings on the bolts

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all bosch motors have to go back to bosch no dealer can service them opening the motor case will void the warranty either buy you or the dealer.

GaryC7659

Just Joined
Dec 15, 2014
Many thanks to you both.

I managed to free it by taking it outside and applying strong pressure through the pedals. Unfortunately it has now an eratic rotation and is noisy, as it's just about in warranty back to the shop I think

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I agree with the other members on this, If it's under warranty let them get their hands dirty.

Advertisers