My Bafang mid drive reliability problem

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Some months ago I purchased a kit from eclipse bikes in the UK and although when its OK it goes well it does have a problem.every now and then I can feel a buzzing through the pedals like when the brushes wear out on an electric drill and its sparking. Soon afterwards the thing cuts out and has no drive. I have checked everything i can IE battery connections and the bullet connections in the controller everything seems fine. However when its in a no go state and I take the controller off power returns. There is one connection going from controller to motor a small black push in and several bullit connectors. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what caused it

D

Deleted member 4366

What do you mean by power returns when you take off the controller.? How can it work without a controller?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The only time I had this kind of symptom, was when the controller LVC kicked in. It was doing this way before the battery should have run out, so I reprogrammed the controller LVC lower. That way I could get the best mileage out of the battery.

The controller LVC still operates before the battery LVC, thus protecting my battery a bit more.

Maybe your controller LVC is set too high!

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
The only time I had this kind of symptom, was when the controller LVC kicked in. It was doing this way before the battery should have run out, so I reprogrammed the controller LVC lower. That way I could get the best mileage out of the battery.

The controller LVC still operates before the battery LVC, thus protecting my battery a bit more.

Maybe your controller LVC is set too high!
This kit is the 350,watt version and as it came from eclipse and I help it a lot by pedalling hard. Today it cut after 15kms and as I was in a group I continued without electric for around another 35kms but its no fun . When I returned home I open the controller slightly, checked again the bullet connectors found no fault, put it back together and it works again.The battery was fully charged before setting off and its a 17ah lump. This thing is becoming an embarrassment so I need to solve it. How can I set the LVC ? and if that was the problem would it not play up every time.
By the way thanks guys for trying to help.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
This kit is the 350,watt version and as it came from eclipse and I help it a lot by pedalling hard. Today it cut after 15kms and as I was in a group I continued without electric for around another 35kms but its no fun . When I returned home I open the controller slightly, checked again the bullet connectors found no fault, put it back together and it works again.The battery was fully charged before setting off and its a 17ah lump. This thing is becoming an embarrassment so I need to solve it. How can I set the LVC ? and if that was the problem would it not play up every time.
By the way thanks guys for trying to help.
If it does happen randomly, then it's probably not the LVC. If it's around the same mileage each time on a similar route, then possibly.

Any time you have issues with a BBSxx, it's a good idea to disconnect any brake cut-offs and throttle, then take it for a test ride. Bear in mind that without brake cut-offs, you will need to stop pedalling first, then brake, otherwise the motor will keep going against your braking.

Doing this will eliminate any issues with brake cut-offs and throttle.

Last edited:

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
If it does happen randomly, then it's probably not the LVC. If it's around the same mileage each time on a similar route, then possibly.

Any time you have issues with a BBSxx, it's a good idea to disconnect any brake cut-offs and throttle, then take it for a test ride. Bear in mind that without brake cut-offs, you will need to stop pedalling first, then brake, otherwise the motor will keep going against your braking.

Doing this will eliminate any issues with brake cut-offs and throttle.
I have tried disconnecting throttle and brake cut off, I have not seen a white multi plug, is it usually covered in white silicon? and it happens very randomly. Will have a real good inspection tomorrow. I have not gone too deep thinking it may invalidate any warrantee it may have.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have tried disconnecting throttle and brake cut off, I have not seen a white multi plug, is it usually covered in white silicon?
Yes, it's covered in white silicone same place as the bullet connectors.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Update
Tommie you seem to have hit the nail on the head. I cut away the silicon around the white plug which was well smothered in silicon unclipped the plug saw nothing wrong but pushed it back together and tested it on two quite severe routes with 18deg gradients and can detect no problems so far which gives me some confidence that was the problem. I live in sunny Spain but over the last few days its been only 10deg C. so done no real long rides but tomorrow will poss do about 65/70kms and if its all OK problem solved and tested. Mucho Gracias to you all and have a nice Christmas

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Muchas gracias would be proper Spanish - many thanks (plural).
Moltes grácies in Catalan - Merci is also Catalan
Mila esker in Basque - one thousand thanks

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Oh dear Another kiwi as that so important to you. Who cares? I was only thanking folks who offered help and posting a cure to a problem that may be of help to others.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And since Tommie is Irish... Though he may wish to deny it... The phonically Gaelic would be "gurrah Miley . Wat agut....". Meaning Have a thousand good things happen to you.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
And since Tommie is Irish... Though he may wish to deny it... The phonically Gaelic would be "gurrah Miley . Wat agut....". Meaning Have a thousand good things happen to you.
Ok KenJ, glad you got it sorted,
they`re a decent motor only let down by some assembly issues in the factory,
not the first time those internal cables have been left loose.

Dan, c`mon, as gregory campbell said, less of that `curry my yogurt` lingo!....
it`s `thenk ye` in ulster-scotch afaik

Advertisers