Help! needed :) Daly BMS spec and settings

MSG76

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2020
Hi all,
back to posting after sometime as now I'm planning to build my first diy battery pack. I'm upgrading to Li-ion 48v, 13s battery. For this I'll be using Molicel M35A cells. My question now is with the choice of BMS and settings. Anyone had experience with Daly smart and non smart bms?

Looking at Molicel specs I need to do some changes to BMS default specs. Can I have some opinions on the below and sucesfull instal and activation of Daly BMS? I've tried to ask support but got increasingly confused with the answers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can only change the parameters if the BMS is BT or uart capable.
With DALY BMS one assumes one is talking of the waterproof rubber type ones with the Red fronts, the generic type non programmable I use these and they appear to be ok but no parameters can be changed.
One needs to spend £50/£60 for a true smart BMS which uses the uart etc, I haven't used one as tbh I see no need.

MSG76

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2020
Thanks Nealh! I agree, other than changing the settings to extend battery life cycles and specs there's no other need. Maybe just looking at charging progress bars to pass time when idle :D

I thouhgt so, was bit confused but going to get a smart one. Was curious about the response time and reliability for instance if 500milliseconds for over charge/discharge is too short. But only experience can tell and I have none with these.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Over the life of a battery being able to set the balance a bit lower (4.1v per cell) may well extend the battery life if one expects to see a full 500 + complete cycles, in reality I doubt if many will see anywhere near this.
I can see their usefulness for mega batteries like a car or a massive 20 or 30p motor bike battery but for a generic type 4 - 6p ebike battery not much use in my view.
The novelty of checking individual cells one expects would wear off or make one become OCD with every small indifference between neighboring cells.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For me I charge to 4.15v even though I don't use the uart BMS, v.good cells should maintain pretty good balance without reaching the balance voltage. For me I build the battery in away I can access the bms balance wire connector for a manual check and single cell balance if needs be or wire in a separate balance lead to the exterior of the pack to do the same thing.

MSG76

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2020
Yes, I was thinking of setting it at 4.05v cut-off charge, 4.0v balance detection and 3.0v discharge cut-off.

From what I've read, following the 20% - 80% best practice sustained by Mr. Elon Musk as well it'll keep cells stress free, at least. The working temperature definitely needs changing as Molicels M35A cut at 60º and the BMS cuts at 70º by default on the non-smart ones.

So, if this point is enough to make me have a smart BMS with adjustable settings I may as well go along for all customisation.
I also don't think I'll install the BT module on it after assembly. Not happy with the idea of having my battery being discoverable around town by anyone with a smartphone :D

Advertisers