New Wisper 905se battery queries.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
David.

Re. the voltage. I wouldn't know a volt from an otter, so couldn't measure it.

Re. the Fifth Light. When I switch the battery to OFF (on the key), the 5th light flashes for a split second (and I mean split, i.e. not measurable) as it powers off.

[ADDED LATER: On closer inspection of the battery lights going OFF, this is what happens: Key in, press button, 4 Green lights on. 3 seconds later, they go out. If you turn the key OFF while the 4 lights are on, they go out one at a time, and finally the 5th light glows RED for a second, and goes out too].

Went out this morning, still of course on 4 lights, battery as high as a kite. Took me up a very nasty long and steep hill (with me panting as well), so no complaints.

Maybe I've just got to treat the battery indicator with suspicion? Would be nice if it indicated, though, as currently it's a bit hit and miss:
Four lights, great.
Three, also v.good.
Two, could be good, could be about to go flat, so watch it.
One, well, we'll come to that...

Thanks for the continued interest.

Allen.

Last edited:

PowaRider

Official Trade Member
Oct 26, 2008
Cheltenham
www.powarider.com
Hi Allen,

I hope you are well.

The 5 LED's on top of the Wisper battery indicate as follows:

4 green LED's provide a guide to remaining capacity - approx 25% per green light.
1 red LED which illuminates when the battery is at or very near depletion.

Note that the 4 green LED's on the top of the battery provide the same indication as the 4 red LED's on the handlebar display.

Quite often the red LED will briefly flash as the battery is switched off - the residual charge within the LED is merely responding to the drop in voltage as the unit switches off.

Treat the lights as a guide - virtually all battery capacity indicators will be influenced by load so take the reading when the motor is not delivering power (i.e. not pedalling, not using throttle). This can be typically illustrated as you ride uphill - at least one LED will go out and then once you ride downhill the capacity lights return!

Happy Wispering!

All the best
Steve

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks Steve.

First question, then.

When the battery is as flat as I've described above, should I have two green lights on the battery indicator?

Using David and his Wisper as an example, does HE get two green lights when his battery will no longer carry him up the slightest slope, or scarcely move him along flat ground? (I use David as he's about the same weight as me).

I do appreciate that the battery indicators are only that, just INDICATORS.

Allen.

JimFlyer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2014
I have a 3 year old Wisper 905se. When starting with a fully charged battery I can go about 10 miles and then the powers stops abruptly with no warning. Any thoughts?

JimFlyer

Aug 22, 2014
Hi all,

I'm new to this site, but not new to electric bikes. However, a real novice when it comes to troubleshooting one. I have owned my Wisper 905se for about 3 years and in the past few weeks the battery, from a full charge, suddenly drops power (stops producing power) after only about 8-10 miles of pedal, in the medium mode, assisted riding. Anyone have any thoughts on where the problem is? All the lights are out on the battery when this happens. Putting it on the charger, and bring it to full charge (5) lights, gives me about 8-10 more miles before it happens again.

D

Deleted member 4366

The battery's knackered. If you can solder and know how to weild a voltmeter and screwdriver, it might be repairable.

JimFlyer

Aug 22, 2014
Well, thank you for your input. I did fear that, but thought someone would give me some miraculous suggestion. 'Tis not to be, however.

Again, thanks

JimFlyer

Aug 22, 2014
It could be kept on the back rack as a spare and provide a few miles of back up.

D

Deleted member 4366

Unfortunately, there's no magic button to press. It'll need some sort of minor surgery.

Advertisers