Normal Charger behaviour?

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
When i plug in my bike after a long half empting 20 mile ride i will pull out the t pin power connector from the battery make sure the charger switch is set to off, remove the rubber bung from the coax connector plug in the power then switch it on. here is where the oddness begins the first few times (more often than not the light on the charger turns orange for 3 seconds and as the fan on the charger starts the charger light turn from amber to green. Now the bike relay could do with a charge so i keep trying this and eventually it stays amber and the fan keeps going and charging occurs. Recently i have been trying to get charging to occur for as much as 10 attempts with the charger. Am i doing some thing wrong is this normal is it a battery thing

thanks as always david

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I had this occur a couple of weeks ago whilst on holiday, although I don't know how long the light was on amber at the first attempt - I know it was less than twenty minutes from a nearly half full battery. I unplugged everything and made another attempt - it registered as fully charged. I repeated this several times. The following morning I went out and after about 5 miles I lost the green light on handlebars completely. Obviously it had completely failed to charge at all. I turned round a couple of miles later and returned to my base with very little left in the battery, put the battery on charge, and again the green light on the charger came on after a few seconds. I tried again and it charged correctly, and I have had no more trouble since. Odd.
2008 14a battery

Colin

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
This problem sometimes occurs for the simplest reason.

Here's a couple of simple tests to try before going further.

Plug the charger into the mains socket but, do not connect it to the battery.

Watch the charger LED's while you switch on the mains.

The red LED will light
The other LED will light amber for two seconds and then turn to green.
The charger has not detected a battery. That may provide the clue to the problem.

There are two leads on the charger, one plugs into the 240 volt mains. The other plugs into the battery and you need to check the co-axial plug on this lead.

The centre pin is split. Make sure the charger is not plugged into the mains and then insert a sharp knife blade into the slot of the centre pin and gently spread the pin apart, just a lttle!!. This will give a better fit into the battery charging socket.

If this fails to do the trick then I suggest you contact Norman at Wisper.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks

Thanks Blew It!

Great to see Wisper experts coming to the rescue.

Hi David, if the problem reoccurs we will sort out a new charger for you bit follow Blew It's advice and you should be OK.

Best regards David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
For anyone else that gets this it may be the fuse has gone on the charger, I had the same symptoms last week and then found the fuse holder laying in my bag!

bill1963

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2010
Hello,

My charger blew 2 fuses today.

what are the fuse characteristics for the charger?

what are the fuse characteristics for the battery ?
charger model HP

SN BLI07 0900186

Any ideas about this ?

Thank you

Basil

Last edited:

bill1963

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2010
Hello David,

Yep it is a wisper 905 city,

I bought it from Andrew.

I also took the eco of Andy for spares.Affortunatelly his charger was blown out.

Can I have your skype ?

Many people in Athens ask me about wisper.

Thank you

B

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hello David,

Yep it is a wisper 905 city,

I bought it from Andrew.

I also took the eco of Andy for spares.Affortunatelly his charger was blown out.

Can I have your skype ?

Many people in Athens ask me about wisper.

Thank you

B
I might have the answer to this.
I put a phono connector in the lead that isn't standard, it may be that the wires inside the connectors are shorting. They did this once before after being bent round in my bag.
You can remove the connectors and terminate the wires permanently with crimps or solder, that might fix it.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I have had this intermittant charging behaviour, mostly it will not charge just goes almost immediatly to green on the LED.

I did send the charger and battary back to Whisper who checked it out and said all was Ok and it did work when they returned it; but now it is playing up again.

When I plug the charger into the battary it is very very slack. I notice if I try an ordinary TV coaxial plug in the socket it is nice snug fit so can I fit one of these onto the end of the charging lead ? (as long as i don't get the polarity wrong ) ~ assuming the trouble is down to a poor contact.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I have had this intermittant charging behaviour, mostly it will not charge just goes almost immediatly to green on the LED.

I did send the charger and battary back to Whisper who checked it out and said all was Ok and it did work when they returned it; but now it is playing up again.

When I plug the charger into the battary it is very very slack. I notice if I try an ordinary TV coaxial plug in the socket it is nice snug fit so can I fit one of these onto the end of the charging lead ? (as long as i don't get the polarity wrong ) ~ assuming the trouble is down to a poor contact.
Hi there,

sorry to intrude, but have you tried gently opening out the centre pin on the connector on the charger, as if you look carefully it's actually a split pin. People in the past have solved the exact problem you're describing by teasing this apart by a bout 1mm or so to ensure a more solid connection, it can be done with the tip of a sharp knife. Obvious precautions, make sure the charger is uplugged from the mains, and don't cut yourself! :D

Advertisers