One law for the rich etc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now announced that ex MP Chris Huhne and ex wife Vicky Pryce are to be released on tags after just eight weeks of their eight month sentences, once again a quarter of their sentences when "ordinary" people have to serve a minimum of a half. No tag period has been specified so I'm betting they'll be off very quickly too.

So they join the other notables and celebrities getting favoured treatments, the Lords Archer, Taylor and Hanningfield, MP Jim Devine, Ernest Saunders and Anthony Worrall-Thompson et al. Link to previous post on this subject.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't understand what they expect to achieve with the tags. Is there a risk that they'll go and mug an old lady or rob the local Tescos? Send them back to jail to be punished for what they did!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
This country does get its panties in a knot over some pretty silly things though - posturing with prison for points shifting and the like. Whether they're high profile or not the underlying "crimes" are all too petty for me to get in any way excited about. Next it'll be community service for forgetting to tell DVLA you moved in the last month. Get a blooming grip.

Meanwhile, burglars, drug dealers and violent criminals are getting off with suspended sentences and fines amounting to slaps on the wrist. Easy targets get disproportionately harsh punishments in UK on a grand scale. So quite frankly if they let them out early imho it's probably appropriate - as they should never have been sent to jail in the first place. Hulme and Price likely lost more that mattered to them (credibility, cash and all the rest) than a spell in the nick could ever top. Let's face it getting released on tag means they now have to pay their blooming Council Tax again - which is likely worse than free bed & board courtesy of HMP :rolleyes:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
the bed and board is the the only thing that's free in jail Alex!:):):)
Aye, but at least there are jobs in there (which is more than can be said for when people come out !) ...

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
you know there is so much free and empty land up here in the hills and the bogs . It would never be easy, but I wonder sometimes about the cities and the people in them. I was there myself once (and have to say it was good- no hill people!):)

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Aye, but at least there are jobs in there (which is more than can be said for when people come out !) ...
....not something Chris H need ever worry about.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Perverting the course of justice is a serious offence, descended from ancient Common Law. Treat it with respect!

It doesn’t exist in France; even the notion is untranslatable!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This country does get its panties in a knot over some pretty silly things though - posturing with prison for points shifting and the like. Whether they're high profile or not the underlying "crimes" are all too petty for me to get in any way excited about. Next it'll be community service for forgetting to tell DVLA you moved in the last month. Get a blooming grip.
I agree Alex, but it's the inconsistency and favouring of establishment figures that I object to. Whether harshly or gently applied, it should only be one law for all.

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013

Meanwhile, burglars, drug dealers and violent criminals are getting off with suspended sentences and fines amounting to slaps on the wrist. Easy targets get disproportionately harsh punishments in UK on a grand scale. So quite frankly if they let them out early imho it's probably appropriate - as they should never have been sent to jail in the first place. Hulme and Price likely lost more that mattered to them (credibility, cash and all the rest) than a spell in the nick could ever top. Let's face it getting released on tag means they now have to pay their blooming Council Tax again - which is likely worse than free bed & board courtesy of HMP :rolleyes:
You need to think a bit more deeply than this. The term, "points shifting" trivialises what has taken place. Hulme has attempted to alter the course of the law through lies and deceipt. Although the original offence of speeding and accruing 3 points isn't the crime of the century, attempting to steer the law in your favour by using calculated deceit and cheating is serious. The justice system in this country has many faults, but on the whole, it's not bad and when compared to some countries it is something worth upholding and supporting. The actions of worthless filth such as Hulme needs to be punished. What he did is an affront to all of us. The man is a total disgrace and I've just picked up something better than him with a poop scoop.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
You need to think a bit more deeply than this. The term, "points shifting" trivialises what has taken place. Hulme has attempted to alter the course of the law through lies and deceipt. Although the original offence of speeding and accruing 3 points isn't the crime of the century, attempting to steer the law in your favour by using calculated deceit and cheating is serious. The justice system in this country has many faults, but on the whole, it's not bad and when compared to some countries it is something worth upholding and supporting. The actions of worthless filth such as Hulme needs to be punished. What he did is an affront to all of us. The man is a total disgrace and I've just picked up something better than him with a poop scoop.
He only did what half the country have been doing for years. I can think of at least 10 people I have known who have point swapped over the years, mums, dads and teens.

Makes no difference to anyone other that the person about to lose his or her licence along with his job and ability to support his family.

I would not think twice about swapping if it meant I could keep food on the table.

He was guilty of running a few miles an hour over the limit, many people do. No harm done.

Received the dreaded persecution notice and for what ever reason took the same course of action as many do.

That's what you get when you back people into a corner over nothing.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Greater love hath no woman than this, that a woman lay down her licence for his points - John ch15.13
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned,"
William Congreve 17th century playwright

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
That's what you get when you back people into a corner over nothing.
^^ This. British "justice" is not proportionate in many areas. Mind you, to put into perspective a little known fact is that over 4,500 cyclists in Poland were jailed last year for riding their bicycles whilst over the alcohol limit - which is the same as for cars. Their limit is 0.02% as compared to our 0.08% and so cycling at just below our legal limit there might easily lead to a long spell in a Polish prison cell being 4 times theirs. Even a pint or less could lead to a short spell inside.

I wonder how many of our pub-going Members consider that they would be committing a crime deserving of a prison sentence, criminal record for 11 years, denial of entry into many countries in the world and likely loss of potential future job prospects of any reasonable sort after having a pint of lager in the pub and cycling home ?

No wonder the Poles have been flocking here in those numbers over recent years :)

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned,"
William Congreve 17th century playwright
Indeed so - and sometimes the rage and fury can consume the woman as well as the man in the process !

Last edited:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
the bed and board is the the only thing that's free in jail Alex!:):):)
Very low paid jobs though, their wages for the week are at the low end of double figures. There's even a small charge for the television too.

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
He only did what half the country have been doing for years. I can think of at least 10 people I have known who have point swapped over the years, mums, dads.
That's fine if people are comfortable bringing their children up to lie and cheat in order to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. I note that you know at least 10 such people.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
That's fine if people are comfortable bringing their children up to lie and cheat in order to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. I note that you know at least 10 such people.
I could not wish for a better, more genuine circle of friends. All 10 of them.

Life is full of all sorts.
Liars, cheats and muggers. Some even claim to be saints.

Advertisers