Optical oddities

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A few months ago I posted that I had bought some fairly inexpensive over-glasses - £12.50 - primarily for cycling. Now we have had some sun, thought an update might help?

The ones I bought were from Amazon ASIN: B00ABGN40G

I find they work very well. They do not dramatically affect the colour like some. They wraparound well which helps reduce wind over eyes. Lightweight. I find them preferable to prescription sunglasses for my purposes.

Have even used them when kayaking - a fun day last weekend off Abereiddy. Which brings me to the subject of this post. After I had got used to floating on the sea, and could propel myself reasonably effectively, my attention wandering to the crabs, jelly fish, distant seal, and so on. Being polarised, they cut the reflection dramatically. But you still see some glinting. Thing was, quite a lot of of the glints were dark blue - almost cobalt. Never seen anything like it before. Instead of diamonds on the sea, I had diamonds and sapphires!

When I got back, a little internetting found me a paper describing the phenomenon and even had some photographs of the effect. To be honest, what I saw with my own eyes beats the pants off the photographs but I think I just had the most incredible luck - calmest sea ever, perfect sun.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316732445_Blue_sun_glints_on_water_viewed_through_a_polarizer

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Polarised glasses are fantastic
Been using them for years it’s amazing what you see without the reflections
:)

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
After witnessing was was lurking beneath us whilst sailing we gave up with polarized lenses.Better not knowing...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
After witnessing was was lurking beneath us whilst sailing we gave up with polarized lenses.Better not knowing...
Maybe it depends where you are? What I could see was rather wonderful - a bit too much seaweed of various sorts but as already mentioned, crabs, fish, jellyfish, interesting rocks, anenomes, ...

Advertisers