Oxygen MTB off-road speed

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
hi all. For some reason my throttle will got to 16.5 unassisted. Then cuts out . As does peddle assist.
I read on here about chnging wheel size to a smaller setting to fool the speed sensor.

Well. The motor doesn't cut out at all now. In fact My bottle went first. However it is now reading a much slower speed.

My real wheel size should be 700. Did someone on here once post what size smaller wheel to set it for so that You can use kph and that would be a fairly accurate mph? I thought I read it over xmas but cannot find it now.

Regards Paul.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
While your there Leigh. Great work on the videos. I watched them all and know the time and effort that goes into filming editing and uploading. They are great and really encouraged me to go for an emtb and spend a bit more. Once I saw how you were tearing across those fields. I'm now doing the same. Riverbanks and fields and unused tracks round here that no one even fancies walking through let alone trying to ride on are now easily accessible . Loving it.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
hi all. For some reason my throttle will got to 16.5 unassisted. Then cuts out . As does peddle assist.
I read on here about chnging wheel size to a smaller setting to fool the speed sensor.

Well. The motor doesn't cut out at all now. In fact My bottle went first. However it is now reading a much slower speed.

My real wheel size should be 700. Did someone on here once post what size smaller wheel to set it for so that You can use kph and that would be a fairly accurate mph? I thought I read it over xmas but cannot find it now.

Regards Paul.
D8veh rates your bike as very fast and he knows.

D

Deleted member 4366

The latest Oxygens can all be derestricted to give about 24 mph or more. There's separate settings for the throttle and pedal sensor. You need the secret code.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
The latest Oxygens can all be derestricted to give about 24 mph or more. There's separate settings for the throttle and pedal sensor. You need the secret code.
Thanks Dave. I've put the wheel size back to normal. As I'm not a great cyclist and I'm not going to use that speed. If I ever need it and it's legal to do so I guess I can just change the wheel size quickly.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Lol. You would need another test pilot. I haven't even got a bike helmet yet. I'm bombing around in hiking boots and a fishing parka. Even within legal limits people must be thinking "blimey that sofa on wheel is going at a good clip"

As I've read on here. With de restricting an ebike You can't get any more power. It just cuts out assist at a higher speed. Is that right?

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Lol. You would need another test pilot. I haven't even got a bike helmet yet. I'm bombing around in hiking boots and a fishing parka. Even within legal limits people must be thinking "blimey that sofa on wheel is going at a good clip"

As I've read on here. With de restricting an ebike You can't get any more power. It just cuts out assist at a higher speed. Is that right?

BUY A CYCLE HELMET.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch

What @IR772 said is right. I landed on my head on 24/12/16. Fortunately, my helmet stopped me from having nothing more than a scratched elbow over Christmas. :eek:

As for more power.. I dunno, it just goes faster. Do you mean power for hills? I must try that next time I'm out. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It must be an English thing, I have never hit my head when I fell off my bike. Last time was at speed (27 km/h +) in a corner, I tried leaving too much room for a following car and went over a wall onto the footpath. The bike still bears scars, just to remind me to be more selfish... :D

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It must be an English thing, I have never hit my head when I fell off my bike.
Yep, I got lucky.. Lucky that it wasn't higher. Only around 4 ft down to the bottom of the ditch. Any deeper could have meant a broken neck. My helmet, right shoulder and right elbow took the brunt of the fall. :eek:

A1.jpg C1.jpg D1.jpg D2.jpg

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
IMG_1167.JPG

I was making progress (30+mph) when then pannier strap caught and drove the mudguard under the rear wheel.
Rear wheel skid followed and the back started to come round .
When I was at right angles to direction of travel the grip returned and I high sided at well over 20. Even with helmet on I blacked out and had concussion. Very dashed and confused.
And I'm not English.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

I was going slowly on an off-road cycle track when a small twig got stuck between my front mudguard and the wheel. I heard the rubbing noise, so looked down to see what it was. The next thing,I went straight over the handlebars. The twig tucked the mudguard back on itself so it jammed between the wheel and the fork-crown, making a rather good brake.

• Informative

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Glad you are, more or less, [emoji108]

I , once I might add, dangled a carrier bag of shopping of my left handlebar grip

Going no more than 10mph absolute max it swung into the front wheel and stopped it dead. I went straight over the bars and Inot the back of a stopped taxi.

Never forgiven myself for such idiocy. Luckily minor injuries to everything except my brand new Brooks saddle !

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Regarding the speed; I have my eMate set to Eco mode, level 6, so plenty more power to come. On Wednesday I was riding home in the dark along the shared path I use when I caught up with a bike and got ready to overtake. I noticed it was a bike courier as he (I assume) had one of those square backpack things on. I went round him making a right racket with my spiked tyres. Did he not like that! He tried to speed up, so I went up a gear and pedalled a bit harder and left him behind, no doubt cursing me. I was doing about 23-24MPH as I went by. I wonder how fast I could go in Speed mode, level 6?

Advertisers