Parking a bike in the rain

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'm on a course and parked bike up outside building on an industrial estate against some railings. No bike area with a cover unfortunately.
Put bin liners over handlebars and saddle held with elastic bands, but when I came out at 4pm the wind had taken them away and my bike was wet.
Taking a small tarpaulin today and some rop.
I guess a good cover is best bet? Any recommendations.

Last time I was on a course I took battery inside classroom with me. Covered battery mount with a bag.
Bag blew away and battery mount was wet so I ended up not connecting battery. Peddled home. That was hard work!

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I'm on a course and parked bike up outside building on an industrial estate against some railings. No bike area with a cover unfortunately.
Put bin liners over handlebars and saddle held with elastic bands, but when I came out at 4pm the wind had taken them away and my bike was wet.

Last time I was on a course I took battery inside classroom with me. Covered battery mount with a bag.
Bag blew away and battery mount was wet so I ended up not connecting battery. Peddled home. That was hard work!
Carrier bag over the saddle, tied in place by its handles, park the sheltered side of the building, and make everything waterproof so you don't need to worry.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

I have bike bags for this. It covers the whole bike against rain and weighs about 200g.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
look out for postman dropped elastic bands to secure the carrier bags

@guerney posted recently about rucksack covers, they look like over-sized shower caps and the elastic should keep them on the bike adding a drawstring would make sure

Reactions: Woosh

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
How you guys like to overcomplicate things. You can buy a bike cover and mud guards for few £.

Some of us LIKE to do things

Decent ! mud guards cost more than a few pounds

aaa.jpg

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Some of us LIKE to do things
Ok... if you like battery wrapped in rubbish bag then it is your choice.

I would move water bottle somewhere else if I were you (unless your fork doesn't work). Also bag on crossbar is in very unfortunate position.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Ok... if you like battery wrapped in rubbish bag then it is your choice.

I would move water bottle somewhere else if I were you (unless your fork doesn't work). Also bag on crossbar is in very unfortunate position.
The bottle is covered with this when in use

cap.jpg

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020

View attachment 54782
doesn't she complain about the rain and mud, aside from being a bit uncomfortable with the bottle being where it is?

Being serious for once, I was given a Halfrauds bike cover, silver polythene, so prone to getting punctured, easily repairable with a bit of gaffer tape and fits over the whole bike with a drawstring around the bottom edge. It looks cheap and cheerful, don't know how cheap because I didn't buy it. I also acquired a nylon bivvy sheet with brass eyelets around the edge, far more sturdy, can be held in place with bungees, that's big enough to cover my 'bent tandem.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
That is not what I meant Saracen. If you attach water bottle like you did, there is a risk your wheel can hit bottle, cause accident and potential serious injury.

As per bag on crossbar - by attaching it like you did, you significantly increase standover height, yet again risking injury this time to your groins.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
doesn't she complain about the rain and mud, aside from being a bit uncomfortable with the bottle being where it is?
She looks pleased about wherever that big bottle is.

That is not what I meant Saracen. If you attach water bottle like you did, there is a risk your wheel can hit bottle, cause accident and potential serious injury.
A reusable ziptie fixes my water bottle's position on my bike frame - would a really long reusable ziptie holding @Saracen's bottle to the frame prevent that happening?

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
A reusable ziptie fixes my water bottle's position on my bike frame - would a really long reusable ziptie holding @Saracen's bottle to the frame prevent that happening?
I am not sure what you have in mind Guerney. As far as I remember your bike is a folder and doesn't have front suspension, so it is an entire different story.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I am not sure what you have in mind Guerney. As far as I remember your bike is a folder and doesn't have front suspension, so it is an entire different story.
Yep, you're right, I missed that. I defer to your greater knowledge about suspension. @Saracen ignore what I wrote about zipties - it'd hold the bottle until it gets smashed or knocked off by the wheel when you hit a deep pothole.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

As per bag on crossbar - by attaching it like you did, you significantly increase standover height, yet again risking injury this time to your groins.

I am happy THAT is what matter

Reactions: Az.

Related Articles

Advertisers