Performanceline Bearings CX Rebuild

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Hi folks,

On the 5th of March I noticed some play in the cranks of my KTM, so as I have an impending inguinal hernia operation tomorrow (aaaargh!!) I decided to whip out the motor and given my rural location just get it fully overhauled. My bike was out of warranty and had "only" done 2600km (this I'm not really sure about, when I changed from Intuvia to Purion I noticed that some runs just didn't add up with strava?? I think this is under reading, and also times on a double battery day when second battery goes in the odometer didn't move and the trip meter had to be reset). These 2600km have been pretty hard off road here in the wet Cairngorms, and my observation on removal of the motor was that it was the left side that seemed to be the issue (so presumably the crank seal and mud stop seal on the right have done their job, it's a pity Bosch never left enough depth on the left to take an aftermarket seal). Luckily the missus has an err, EXTREMELY low mileage same bike so I could put them side by side and spin the cranks and the difference was massive in noise, and what I could feel through my hands.

Anyway, PLB did their magic on it, also fitting a LHS steel threaded sleeve for a mounting bolt hole that had been stripped out and it arrived back yesterday (Parcelforce "Express 24"? Not up here in the land of slow delivery and additional postage for most things lol), got it back in the bike and went for a test ride..... all perfect! !!

Here are the torque settings I used on reassembly- please feel free to add any comments...

3x main mounting bolts on RHS- advised 25-30Nm. I set at 27Nm

2x LHS mounting bolts - advised 9-11Nm. I set at 10Nm

Lock ring for front sprocket- advised 20-25Nm. I set at 25Nm (purely because it would be a trailside disaster if that came loose...)

Crank arms- 45Nm (this is a guesstimate based on the recommendations for Truvativ ISIS at 43-47Nm)

It means I've got peace of mind and a new motor effectively for when I'm on the mend, I still do a lot of road cycling and I'll be using the KTM on fire roads when I get back on it in what 6-8-10 weeks?? as it will be far more forgiving with 2.6" tyres and full suss rather than a rigid road bike on hard 25mm tyres. Main priority is not to blow out the hernia repair...!!!

So that's my account, I knew one day I'd be calling on their services and they've been brilliant....!!

Advertisers