Perry Shopper controller availability

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
Hi all
I have been given a Perry Shopper mini folding bike to fix for a friend. She fell from it damaging the head unit and rendering the bike inoperable. I believe it to be the controller as the replacement display unit powers up. I have sent an email to the Perry Shopper people via the website but after 2 months of waiting for a reply have all but given up. Does anyone have a phone number for them or info on the whereabouts of a controller. The bike is 36v Matt black.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
All controllers work the same, so you can use one off Ebay/Aliexpress/Amazon. It's very unlikely to be the controller that's faulty. Did you check the motor cable where it comes out of the axle? Did the brake lever get damaged?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it is front wheel drive I would check the motor wiring an motor connector as already mentioned. Any brake lever wih sensor can be ruled out by disconnecting them at the controller.

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
All controllers work the same, so you can use one off Ebay/Aliexpress/Amazon. It's very unlikely to be the controller that's faulty. Did you check the motor cable where it comes out of the axle? Did the brake lever get damaged?
I disconnected the brake lever wires so it's not that. There is no visible damage to the control wire from the motor. I need a controller with 9 wires going to the motor, the 3 phase wires plus 5 wires to the display. There is a further bank of 3 wires which I take to be going to the pedal sensor. None of what I see on eBay has anything remotely similar.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I disconnected the brake lever wires so it's not that. There is no visible damage to the control wire from the motor. I need a controller with 9 wires going to the motor, the 3 phase wires plus 5 wires to the display. There is a further bank of 3 wires which I take to be going to the pedal sensor. None of what I see on eBay has anything remotely similar.
You have a KT controller with LCD5. They're common as muck. Show us exactly what you have. Pull the controller out where we can see it with all of its connectors.

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
You have a KT controller with LCD5. They're common as muck. Show us exactly what you have. Pull the controller out where we can see it with all of its connectors.
Here is a pic of the controller. I will get some more showing the wires in a couple of days.
If it is front wheel drive I would check the motor wiring an motor connector as already mentioned. Any brake lever wih sensor can be ruled out by disconnecting them at the controller.
Yes, front drive motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kt controller wiring is pretty std so you should ( if you think it needs a new controller )
be straight replacement but to be 100% sure, we need a nice pic of the wiring and connectors.

Before buying a controller the motor hall sensors need testing as does the the controller mosfets, both can be done easily via the controller connectors (if non waterproof type) with a normal testing meter.

Usually if one or the other an error code should be displayed on the lcd.

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
Kt controller wiring is pretty std so you should ( if you think it needs a new controller )
be straight replacement but to be 100% sure, we need a nice pic of the wiring and connectors.

Before buying a controller the motor hall sensors need testing as does the the controller mosfets, both can be done easily via the controller connectors (if non waterproof type) with a normal testing meter.

Usually if one or the other an error code should be displayed on the lcd.
Okay, here is a picture of the controller wiring. I hope someone may be able to identify a similar controller on eBay as I am not getting anywhere with the UK distributor.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your bikes KT controller is OEM and is a bit different as it is single volatge use and uses seperate SM3 connectors for the motor speed signal and the three main Halls along with the three phas bullets, most now using the three phase bullets use an all in one six wire DJ7061 connector block so you will have to do some minor wiring for the six halls.

Non OEM controllers are dual voltage so 24 /36v or 36/48v , your best with the latter.

One can either solder the wires direct one to one or using a needle/pin gently tease out the wire pins (having press down the barbs)and withdraw the pins and then reuse the existing connectors inserting the wires in the correct order .

This will work though as mentioned you will have to do some minor wiring with the six wire Hall connections to work with yours. If you wanted to and don't want to solder then just use a simple screw block connector block to join wire to wire or 2 x 3 way WAGO connectors.

DC36V/48V 15A KT Controller For 250W Brushless Motor E-Bike SM Interface Cycling | eBay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only wire difference is your controller uses a white signal throttle wire colour and the ebay one and others use Blue as the signal wire instead .

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
Your bikes KT controller is OEM and is a bit different as it is single volatge use and uses seperate SM3 connectors for the motor speed signal and the three main Halls along with the three phas bullets, most now using the three phase bullets use an all in one six wire DJ7061 connector block so you will have to do some minor wiring for the six halls.

Non OEM controllers are dual voltage so 24 /36v or 36/48v , your best with the latter.

One can either solder the wires direct one to one or using a needle/pin gently tease out the wire pins (having press down the barbs)and withdraw the pins and then reuse the existing connectors inserting the wires in the correct order .

This will work though as mentioned you will have to do some minor wiring with the six wire Hall connections to work with yours. If you wanted to and don't want to solder then just use a simple screw block connector block to join wire to wire or 2 x 3 way WAGO connectors.

DC36V/48V 15A KT Controller For 250W Brushless Motor E-Bike SM Interface Cycling | eBay
Thanks for the link. I have just order the controller and look forward to giving it a go. I will let you know how things progress .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you get stuck we are here to help, the swap over should be pretty straight fwd.

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
Here is a pic of the controller. I will get some more showing the wires in a couple of days.
Yes, front drive motor.
Remade the replacement controller connections. Hooked it all up, but still no cigar. In desperation decided to bell out all of the wiring from the motor to the male pins on the multiplug but all is okay. Hall effect sensors, anyone?.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You shiould have carried out the Hall sensor test before buying a new controller , I did mention this in #9.

To test the halls set your meter to 20v dc and probe the Black negative Hall supply wire against the three y/b/g Hall wires each in turn , you will need the battery /controller power on. One should see 5v ish and switching 0v when slowly rotating the wheel by hand acw. If you don't see 5v or swithcing occurring the Hall is toast.

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
You shiould have carried out the Hall sensor test before buying a new controller , I did mention this in #9.

To test the halls set your meter to 20v dc and probe the Black negative Hall supply wire against the three y/b/g Hall wires each in turn , you will need the battery /controller power on. One should see 5v ish and switching 0v when slowly rotating the wheel by hand acw. If you don't see 5v or swithcing occurring the Hall is toast.
You did indeed. I wanted a quick fix which turned out to be a waste of time. Thank you very much for the info. There is no throttle fitted. Would it have made a difference if it was?. Presumably the three pin connection shown is the throttle connection?. Please excuse the dumb questions.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That sm3 connector Brown/Black /Yellow is the PAS connection so not surprised the motor doesn't work.

For your info KT connexctions are ;
SM3 Red/White/Black is ext speed sensor.
SM3 Red/Black/Blue is throttle.
SM3 Brown/ Black/Yellow is PAS.

Best to show us a pic of your connections.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only wire to wire same colour pairings that will usually work are motor Phase and motor Hall wires, though in all there are 36 wire combo's to try should the initial pairings not work.

Advertisers