Please recommend a tire for motor wheel (rear) 700c 2 blowouts in 2 days.

crunchie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2018
UK
I have the Woosh XF08C kit and the rear has exploded twice now just while the bike is sitting in the shed.

The first time I put it down to perhaps a bad fit of the tube, so the 2nd time I was extra thorough making sure the tube is not pinched anywhere.
I inflated the tube slightly, put the other side of the tire on the rim then went all the way around squeezing the tire to ensure the tube is not trapped, then slowly inflated to 73PSI.

The tire is a Schwalbe land cruiser 700 x 35c, the same tire on the front has been fine. Tire states up to 85PSI.
First tube was a presta 700 x 28-47 and the 2nd tube was a Bontrager 700 x35-44C

I've checked the tire for issues and also the rim and can't see anything.
I went for a 14mile ride without issue and when I got back I looked around the tyre and it looked fine.
Then an hour after it was put in the shed. BANG.

The only thing common I can see is that it has blown out at the top of the tire each time it was sat, leading me to think the weight at the bottom has broken the seal at the top?

Any ideas please folks?bead failure? wrong size tire?

crunchie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2018
UK
I have those exact same tyres, 73psi is a bit high imo, sure you`re gauge is accurate?

try around 50-60 that`s really enough, see how it goes.

rim tape seated ok?
Yeah the tape looks fine. The front is on 60 but when the rear was 60, it looked like it needed inflating with the extra weight from the motor.

I checked PSI with my big air compressor and also with my car digital compressor so the measurement should be good.

I'm kinda inclined to change it to a 700x38 to see if that helps?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Boardman cx I use 50 - 60psi on rear and never had an issue with exploding tyres.
Tyre's I use are Smart Sam Plus 40c, Scwalbe CX comp 38c & Panaracer Comet hardpack 38c.
Recently fitted a Gaadi to the rear and all ticketyboo.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If high pressure is there an issue when you put the bike away, does the shed get very warm inside on sunny day.

One day I left my beekeeping barrow in the car for a few hours and bang, the tube exploded and at the same time the pressure blew the plastic rim to pieces.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi
D

Deleted member 4366

Schwalbe tyres sometimes stretch if you don't fit them or take them off correctly. Once stretched, there's nothing you can do except buy a new one.

Advertisers