Possible conversion

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Just had maybe a mad idea...Maybe a good one...

Take the electrics off my stealth and put them on this Barracuda which is no longer used.

Seems to have better parts and rear suspension.

Biggest problem is where to mount the battery...

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks d8veh, honest opinion appreciated.
Ill leave that then.

How does the Oxygen S Cross MTB fair in comparison? Are the parts really any better than the stealth, or would it jsut have the same downfall?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For high mileage, I think you need to look at anything that moves a lot, and look for simple solutions, such as quality wheel hubs, puncture proof tyres, crankset with external bearings, IGH, fully enclosed chainguard, hydraulic brakes and a rigid fork.
The electrics are secondary, they don't need much looking after.

PS: one of my customers did 8,500 miles on her Woosh Sundowner in 3 years without doing any servicing. She only contacted us after damaging her front rim.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sundowner

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes
D

Deleted member 4366

How does the Oxygen S Cross MTB fair in comparison? Are the parts really any better than the stealth, or would it jsut have the same downfall?
Chalk and cheese!

The oxygen has a quiet, more powerful cassette motor. the gears are proper cassette (free-hub) ones, not free-wheel. Hydraulic brakes. Everything about it is better. The best thing is the handling. The Oxygen feels very sure-footed in comparison to other similar bikes. One more thing: The oxygen can go very fast, if you want.

Try one. You'll get the difference immediately.

Transplanting your Cyclotricity electrics into another bike is not a bad idea, but it's only worth doing if the donor is a better bike. The old Carrera Kraken with 26" wheels and hydraulic brakes was a good one. My mate bough a mint one from Facebook for £110.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-Kraken-Mountain-Bike-/252829527842?hash=item3addd06f22:g:R5QAAOSw2gxY1mzK

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Chalk and cheese!

The oxygen has a quiet, more powerful cassette motor. the gears are proper cassette (free-hub) ones, not free-wheel. Hydraulic brakes. Everything about it is better. The best thing is the handling. The Oxygen feels very sure-footed in comparison to other similar bikes. One more thing: The oxygen can go very fast, if you want.

Try one. You'll get the difference immediately.

Transplanting your Cyclotricity electrics into another bike is not a bad idea, but it's only worth doing if the donor is a better bike. The old Carrera Kraken with 26" wheels and hydraulic brakes was a good one. My mate bough a mint one from Facebook for £110.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-Kraken-Mountain-Bike-/252829527842?hash=item3addd06f22:g:R5QAAOSw2gxY1mzK

Thanks, I think the nearest stockist of the Oxygen to me is in Rotherham, and they offer test rides. I'll try and get something sorted to give it a whirl.
I imagine they are easy enough to derestrict in the LCD panel...nothing mad, just a good balance between range and speed.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
For high mileage, I think you need to look at anything that moves a lot, and look for simple solutions, such as quality wheel hubs, puncture proof tyres, crankset with external bearings, IGH, fully enclosed chainguard, hydraulic brakes and a rigid fork.
The electrics are secondary, they don't need much looking after.

PS: one of my customers did 8,500 miles on her Woosh Sundowner in 3 years without doing any servicing. She only contacted us after damaging her front rim.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sundowner

I can see the perfect bike for me, but unfortunately, its made up of lots of different ones, but yet to see one that I think would be bob on ;)

Reactions: Woosh
D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks, I think the nearest stockist of the Oxygen to me is in Rotherham, and they offer test rides. I'll try and get something sorted to give it a whirl.
I imagine they are easy enough to derestrict in the LCD panel...nothing mad, just a good balance between range and speed.
If you visit them in person, and have good bargaining skills, you should be able to get a good deal from them. I know some guys got a really good discount for buying 2, but I guess it always depends on how much stock they've got.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can see the perfect bike for me, but unfortunately, its made up of lots of different ones, but yet to see one that I think would be bob on ;)
would you describe your ideal bike?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, Ive seen a few about, would be great to combine different parts...

I think the 8 fun motor is the one to go for, but being easily able to increase the pedal assistance to say 18-19mph before cutout, I know its illegal, but only just ;)
A decent size battery...17ah sounds like the size i could do with.
Hydraulic brakes.
Decent full length mudguards
Puncture resistant tyres.

I know some of those can be added, as I have to the stealth.

And most of all, one that doesnt make me think I will be replacing the next broken part in a few weeks time.

I did buy the extra 12 month guarantee for the stealth, but most things that i see going wrong with it, will be classed as fair wear and tear. Added to the fact that it would cost me a fortune to send bits back, that was pretty much a waste of money.

So, on that count, I would like to buy from somewhere that has a local (ish) contact point.

Im sure there arte loads more things, but in a bit of a mad rush now

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mac_user82, the current owner of the Rose Bosch has done 4,300 miles in 5 years. Andy Bluenoes puts his bike through 1,500 miles a month.
The Rose Bosch bike you linked to is certainly a good buy but I think it won't last very long at 1,500 miles a month. He also wants to derestrict the bike and have a throttle.

• Agree

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Its about 400 a month, maybe a few more...but i guess thats still quite a high mileage i need to take into consideration

D

Deleted member 4366

Also, it's the older Bosch motor and display that weren't entirely problem-free.

Getting reliability from your bike, electric or otherwise, depends more on your understanding of how it works, how to adjust it and how to look after it, rather than the bike's inherent robustness. Price has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Its about 400 a month, maybe a few more...but i guess thats still quite a high mileage i need to take into consideration
I stand corrected, AB.
I talked to a customer who came to our shop in Southend yesterday, he lives in Croydon but works in Redhill. He reckons 40 miles a day. That must have stuck somewhere in memory when I posted.
He test rode the Woosh Karoo. May be a member of the forum. I forgot to ask.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
No problem...Mine will be 40 a day when i move in June.. But only 4 days a week. Day 5 is that thing called a car :-(

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

Advertisers