Possible issue with my motor hub

2_Wheeled_Wolf

Finding my (electric) wheels
I need some help as I am concerned in a possible issue with the front wheel Bafang 8fun 250W motor. I have noticed what feels like an intermittent rubbing sensation that feels like a brake block making contact to a buckled rim. After having rim trued up & brakes adjusted, it is still there. I have loosened up the brakes to eliminate them & rubbing sensation is still there. So I now know the rim & brakes are not the cause of the rubbing sensation I feel & unsure if it is meant to be there in the motor hub.

I have looked further into what could be the cause & noticed the wheel rocks sideways on its spindle of about 1-2mm, but as I am unfamiliar with motorised wheels I am unsure if this meant to be like this as I know it's not meant to be on standard bikes & I don't want to open up the motor to see just yet as could be a warranty issue. Could anyone please advise as I wont use it until I am sure its not going to damage the motor & both dealer & manufacturer are taking ages to get back to me. So looking at fellow pedelecs who might know & have experience of this.

See photo included of the hub, the movement is the spindle itself. Shown in the photo as red is the centre line of the spindle & in green is the approx movement of about 1mm. The wheel does spin freely as a wheel with a motor built in would. When spinning the wheel in the air, the rubbing sensation is not there. Its only noticed when cycling & under load of using the bike. The motor is working fine but I am concerned the rubbing sensation I am feeling could damage the motor & why I aint riding it atm until I know for sure so need to find out ASAP as to what it could be & then how to resole it.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Probably needs a new wheel bearing, which should be located in a recess on the cover plate. Undo and remove the cover plate to read the bearing part number. Cost of bearing is £1.20 - £3 off ebay from UK sellers, simply tap out and tap in with rubber mallet or hammer and wooden block as a buffer.

My bearing issue in this thread.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bpm-bearing.25474/

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

If it moves in the way you've shown, it's knackered. Probably not a good idea to ride it like that. I've seen a couple of similar motors that had double shims next to the bearing, so that when the side-plate was tightened down, it put excessive side load on the bearing and made the motor a bit stiff. The bearing had failed in one of them and the other was new.

Your's looks like the screw-on side-plate, which is very difficult to dismantle without the special tool.

If you do dismantle it to replace the bearings, check the end-float afterwards. Once dismantled, the bearings are very easy to replace and cheap to buy on Ebay.

Slimjim

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Doncaster
If you carry on riding on worn bearings, is there a risk of the rotor rubbing on the stator with that amount of bearing play?

2_Wheeled_Wolf

As I've said, I ain't riding it until I know what's going on. I won't be touching it as likely invalidate any warranty on bike or have the tools to open it. But it seems all agree it is bearings & will look at it to be repaired by reputable mechanic for the manufacturer of the eBike.

Sent from my Valencia2_Y100pro using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd be surprised if they repair it. I bet they don't even have the tool to get the side off, but you never know. Is the motor from a kit or an OEM bike and which one?

2_Wheeled_Wolf

Well I can't see why they wouldn't repair it considering their business is solely eBikes, the motor is part of my Momentum Upstart. Built at factory as an eBike & electrics & frame still under warranty.

D

Deleted member 4366

Well I can't see why they wouldn't repair it considering their business is solely eBikes, the motor is part of my Momentum Upstart. Built at factory as an eBike & electrics & frame still under warranty.

Ring them up and ask if you can borrow the tool then. I bet they don't even know what it is.

Sent from my i7 GTX970 PC using Google Chrome

2_Wheeled_Wolf

Well after no help from manufacturer & no-one locally can work on it I decided I might as well attack it with hammer & chisel to get cover plate open & check the bearings. But before I managed to check bearing it was discovered that the cover plate was slightly undone due to the grub screws had failed.

So I did up the cover plate, tapped it slightly with hammer & chisel to make sure its tight & problem was resolved, ordered new grub screws & all looks OK again. So after all that it never was the wheel bearings & a cheap repair after some hassles, not fussed tho as I have my ebike back on the road. :)

2016-10-11 16.43.17.jpg 2016-10-11 12.03.06.jpg 2016-10-11 16.22.01.jpg

Reactions: D C and mw1
D

Deleted member 4366

Was it a left-hand or right-hand thread on the side-plate?

Advertisers