Powabyke euro 21 gear.

Garrydog

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Hi got one of the above secondhand ,it's got 3 Lucas 12v 12AH batteries in the box but it won't pull the skin from a rice pudding. I have tried to sell the bike but no I am stuck with it. I would like to do a bit of a project with it and would value your opinion on if it will be ok.

I can buy at a reasonable price a 48v 1000W front drive hub 26" wheel ,and the appropriate controller. Make a new battery box out of maybe chequer plate. And install 4 of these Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200923332965.
4 X Power Sonic PG-12V21 AGM/GEL BATTERIES
I know this bike would be illegal for road use , but in you opinion what would be the range of the bike , what kind of speed would it be capable of, would it be worth doing.

D

Deleted member 4366

Save the money on the motor. The Powabyke one will give a lot of power if you run it at 48v. You'll need a complete new control system: Controller, PAS, throttle and maybe LCD and speed sensor, depending on which controller you get.

Garrydog

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Thank you for your reply d8veh , firstly would those batteries be ok ,or would you go higher on the AH . Secondly would you please recommend the gear that I should buy for the bike ,I wouldn't have a clue on what to buy. As for the fitting of the electrical side I have a friend how will help me out on that.
Thanks.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thank you for your reply d8veh , firstly would those batteries be ok ,or would you go higher on the AH . Secondly would you please recommend the gear that I should buy for the bike ,I wouldn't have a clue on what to buy. As for the fitting of the electrical side I have a friend how will help me out on that.
Thanks.
Are the three batteries you have lead acid ones by any chance? . If so they are probably knackered, as old age gets to us all. Why not get them recelled using Li ion and you will have a fully legal rejuvenated bike... A recelling company can reuse the housings, so the bike will look identical, but the weight will be reduced.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to check whether your motor is brushed or brushless first. Brushless is three-phase, brushed is single phase.

If you don't understand these things, it's not really a good idea to change anything. Instead, get your friend to look at it first, then he can ask questions if he has some.

D

Deleted member 4366

That complicates things a bit. you'd need to find a 48v brushed controller with PAS, which are like rocking horse **. It'll probably be OK if you just replace the batteries with new ones. I've seen people going up fairly steep hills on those without pedalling.

Advertisers