problems with 8 fun

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Hi All. Been busy working and having fun with my bike. Mostly riding to work and home.

Today on the way to work the bike just stopped. There was no electrics to the handle bar controls. I charges the battery at work and still only a flicker from the handle bar control.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

Mark

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

We need a few more details of what you've got. What bike is it? Some photos would help.

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Okay ill get some photos and post tomorrow. Knackered having walked home with it. I got it because of my disability.

It's an 8 fun kit with a handlebar controller. The motor is in the front hub.

D

Deleted member 4366

OK then - no need for photos.

You've probably got a break on your battery wire somewhere. Check that the connector on the bottom of the battery is screwed on properly, then check that the two bullet connectors at the controller are properly in. Pull them apart and crimp the barrels a bit tighter to be sure.

If that doesn't solve it, it could be a faulty control panel. Unplug its connectors and short the red to the blue. If the motor now works with the throttle, the panel needs replacing.

Finally, the other possible cause is a faulty battery. You have to check the pins at the bottom with a voltmeter. It should be over 41v fully charged. There's lots of ways they can fail, but water in them is a common one. Did it get a soaking?

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks that's all really helpful. I'll have a go tomorrow. Think the battery is okay. The bike has got wet but it was working really well the day before and up till it stopped. Thanks again :)

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Hi.

More information. When I took the controller lid off there was a loose red lead. It's paired with a blue lead and joined to a connector. I've re fixed that and now when I turn the power on the lights on the dash board flick up through and stop at one and flash

I find fiddly things difficult due to a neuro condition and I live in Brighton so if anyone can help that would be great. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

You should follow the wire from the control panel to the controller. At the controller, it splits into two 2-pin connectors. One has red and blue, the other green and black. Is it that blue and red connector that the wire came off.If so, that was the cause of your problem. If you disconnect the connector with red and blue wires and simply join the red to the blue by poking a small loop of wire in it, the controller will be powered, so should work with the throttle. The pedal sensor will work too, but only on level 1. You should disconnect the green and black too.

If you want to know how the panel works, the red comes to the panel with battery voltage. When you switch the panel on, it joins the red to the blue, so the blue carries the battery voltage back to the controller to power it. When you change the power level on the panel, it changes the voltage on the green wire between 1v and 3v, which tells the controller how much speed to give when you pedal. The black wire is ground (0v).

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Hi.

Thanks again for this. I've had a go at doing what you suggest but there is no power to the motor when I short between red and blue with green and black disconnected. I've a feeling the loose wire came from a sensor??? Is there any way of checking the controller?

This bike has been so great all the time it's worked but a real pain now :(

D

Deleted member 4366

With the blue and red wires connected, there should be 5v between the red and black throttle or pedal sensor wires.

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Think I've just reached my limit as don't have a volt meter. Will ask around and thanks again for your help

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Well I fitted a new controller replaced by 8 fun who have been helpful and it's still not working argh.

I'm really struggling without it. Have become dependant on it :(

D

Deleted member 4366

We can't help you unless you get a multimeter. They're not expensive, neither are they difficult to use.

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Hi Multi meter has arrived. It's the yellow one. I might hand over fixing the bike to my brother and dad but they will need you help. Can you advise next move please. Thank you

D

Deleted member 4366

Connect up everything on your bike. Switch it on (and the battery).

Set your meter to the 200v DC scale. That's the one with the straight line in the symbol, not the squiggly one. Stick your probes up the back of the battery connector to the controller while it's plugged in. It should be over 41v if the battery is charged.

Then stick the probes up the back of the throttle connector red and black wires. Should be 5v.

Report back those two values, then we can proceed.

Sparkys6887

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2013
Good morning. I have tested the battery as described above and it is coming out with a reading of -26.7 and falling and getting nothing at the throttle connector,

Advertisers