Punctures............

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It appears that Joes eco sealant is the way to go.

ill get some n try it when i run out of stans as it was all they had in stock at the store.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I've been running Stans for a few months. No a single flat despite many thorns.

Ran with 80 ml in each tyre. Removed rear tyre Friday during a service, probably about 20 ml still in the tyre.

I'll not be swapping back to tubes. Does make me wonder why others have suffered balling. Less latex to start with?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Can't argue with them being very thin, so I can see where you are coming from.
The WTB's are pretty heavy, but I still had three failures due to flint cuts. Two sealed almost straight away, but the third took about ten minutes to seal, and the bike looked like it was throwing out a Catherine wheel of fluid as I rode off.

Stans or Joes, tubeless is definitely the way to go. :)

Edit.. I wonder of my Stans fluid was old stock. It could explain why it completely balled up, and failed after just four months.

When I removed the tyre, there was a very thin elasticated bead around the rim, and the rest was just pea size balls. The tyres were also very wet inside. I never lost any pressure between rides though, so they sealed very well.

Last edited:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Marathon pluses for me. I have the tour version with some tread, but wouldn't fancy doing serious off road work with it. They do a mountain bike version with knobblies which might be worth checking.
I'm at 780 miles without a puncture so far...
i have the tour version too, in 28 on a citybike, why did schwalbe make them smaller diameter than regular marathon plus'? i wipedout twice in winter on them, once semi seriously on a very fast decent while breaking, a proper health and safety moment. i guess one cant get high mileage and grip.

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

Back home now and went to the Newcastle Cycle Centre to see Rob a very knowledgeable guy who persuaded me to try a Kevlar protection strip inside the rear tyre. I bought the 29 inch strip just to make sure I had enough and fitting was a doddle as one side has adhesive to stick to the tyre strange thing is I had to cut off 7 inches after applying all the way around the tyre - so you get plenty on a roll and it is really difficult to cut through, you need a good pair of sharp scissors.

I have been back on the same track I was getting the punctures and covered around 50 miles back and forth and to my relief I have not had any further punctures - hooorrrraaaayyyyy.

After the rides I inspected the tyres and needed to pull three thorns from the rear tyre (funny how the front seems to escape the thorns - tempting fate now!) and each time waited for the sudden hiss of escaping air.............nothing - phew!

The rear tyre pressure has remained constant since fitting the Kevlar strip so it seams to work but will not stop punctures from the side wall - which I presume would be rare anyway.

Twelve quid well spent as I did intend to buy a new tyre on my visit to the shop. I will be out again this weekend so fingers crossed - no punctures and a little bit more confidence back in the bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Opinions vary on the liners.

Some cause more punctures than they prevent because they rub against the tube.

You've obviously been sold a good quality liner, and more importantly, you've done a good job of fitting it.

All should be well if it remains in place stuck inside the tyre.

But if you do get another puncture, the liner slipping is something to look out for.

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
Thanks for the comments RobF much appreciated and, if and when I do puncture again I will keep it in mind to check the liner.

Just for the record the Kevlar liner was manufactured by Panaracer. On the small strip that was left a friend and I could not push a pen knife through the material - it really is super strong.

Out again on the bike today and stopped to assist a young lady who had suffered a thorn puncture along the trail we were on - and I did not get one!!
I think my luck may be changing - touch wooden area on top of my neck...

I am beginning to be able to fix a puncture in the back wheel in my sleep. The pollen was bad today though cycling through the fields along the coast - need a few beers to purge it from my system - sounds like a good idea.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your Racing Ralph tyres are not what Schwalbe call 'ebike ready' and are designed for racing, so very lightweight.

No doubt Schwalbe would say it's no surprise you were getting punctures.

I see there is an ebike ready Smart Sam Plus, which also has a semi-knobbly tread.

The Greenguard puncture protection is pretty good.

Worth thinking about at tyre replacement time, or if you get any more punctures.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/offroad-reader/smart-sam-plus.html

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
Very interesting read there RobF.

Racing Ralph is not in the Schwalbe list of their recommended tyres for ebikes with 27.5 wheel and others.

As you quite rightly state this tyre is too light for an ebike and will be changed as soon as I can - probably after the next puncture!!!!!

I really fail to understand then why Haibike fit them too such bicycles.

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
I had 3 back wheel punctures in the last 6 weeks, have decided to order a Tannus Solid Tyre, will report on how I get on with it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Racing Ralph is not in the Schwalbe list of their recommended tyres for ebikes with 27.5 wheel and others.

As you quite rightly state this tyre is too light for an ebike and will be changed as soon as I can - probably after the next puncture!!!!!

The Schwalbe website is a mine of useful tyre information.

They also make excellent tyres - when used in the correct application.

There is a wide choice in most sizes, but it's worth trawling through the specs to get the one that's right for you.

Haibike ought to know better, but I'm afraid all they've done is slapped on the same tyre they would use on an unpowered bike.

If you don't mind running non matched tyres, you could probably get away with keeping the front.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had 3 back wheel punctures in the last 6 weeks, have decided to order a Tannus Solid Tyre, will report on how I get on with it.
What bike, Twangers?

I get the impression Tannus are recommended for 'commuting' - road and well made cycle paths.

They don't perform well on softer stuff.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast

I'm curious as to why you think that the standard tyre such as the Racing Ralph is not suitable for an Ebike.

An ebike maybe weigh in at around 8-10kg more than a regular bike. Rider weights vary by around 30kg.

These tyres will cope very well with high speeds down stoney trails along with a range of riders weights.

I think we are all being had with the phrase Ebike ready tyres. I've not looked but assume that they cost more than a regular tyre.

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
The volt, Tannus sell a 20" x 1.50 tyre. Would have preferred something a bit wider but that's all they do in 20" tyre.

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
"I'm curious as to why you think that the standard tyre such as the Racing Ralph is not suitable for an Ebike."

Well SRS, perhaps seven punctures (in two months) on my ebike appose to Zero punctures on the lads with normal MTB that ride the same routes. Hence I sort advise from other ebike riders on this site.

It is Schwalbe the tyre manufacturer that do not list the Racing Ralph as an ebike suitable tyre on the Schwalbe web site.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well SRS, perhaps seven punctures (in two months) on my ebike appose to Zero punctures on the lads with normal MTB that ride the same routes. Hence I sort advise from other ebike riders on this site.

It is Schwalbe the tyre manufacturer that do not list the Racing Ralph as an ebike suitable tyre on the Schwalbe web site.

But were the other lads using Racing Ralphs?

I had thought exactly the same as SRS. My pedal mtb uses Racing Ralphs, and it does suffer from the occasional puncture. It's just a light weight, thin carcass tyre.
KTM also fit them to some e-mtb's, and I bet that other manufacturers besides Haibike and KTM do the same.
My next e-mtb has them fitted from new as well, and rather than swapping them out for something more suitable for my off road use, I'll run with them for a while and se how long that I get before the first puncture. :) I guess that depending upon terrain, that could be hours, months or never. :)

Last edited:

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
EddiePJ - I hope you remain puncture free!!

One lad has a Nobby Nic setup the others are on Specialized set ups which I think are Panaracer tyres and the other has brand new Maxis Holy roller 26" which I wish they did in the 27.5" as it appears to be a quality tyre for the trails we do.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
"I'm curious as to why you think that the standard tyre such as the Racing Ralph is not suitable for an Ebike."

Westoe, the tyres do not know what type of bike they are fitted to.

They can all withstand he loads and additional torque of legal ebikes. As Eddie says, these tyres have a thin carcass.

Thin carcass = more punctures. Whatever bike they are on.

People, including myself use them because they accelerate quicker, roll better but most important of all they conform to irregular surfaces and grip far far better than heavy tyres.

Why not go tubeless and forget about puncture all together?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Westoe, the tyres do not know what type of bike they are fitted to.

They can all withstand he loads and additional torque of legal ebikes. As Eddie says, these tyres have a thin carcass.

Thin carcass = more punctures. Whatever bike they are on.

People, including myself use them because they accelerate quicker, roll better but most important of all they conform to irregular surfaces and grip far far better than heavy tyres.

Why not go tubeless and forget about puncture all together?
Thin sidewalls cannot withstand the extra load from an ebike.

Lots of instances of sidewall problems on converted bikes and some from woosh.

The extra dead weight of an ebike does make a difference.

Hub motors also appear to torture tyres, maybe it's the snappier acceleration of the newer generation motors.

To be fair to Schwalbe, they are rating lots of their tyres as ebike reasdy.

Anything with Marathon written on it qualifies.

They can sometimes be picked up quite cheaply from the likes of Wiggle.

Advertisers