Q128c freehub removal / servicing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I need to remove/service my freehub on my Q128c, less then 750 miles and the inner bearing/s are very noisy and rotates roughly when freewheeling, any ideas on how to extricate the freehub body ?

Other notes ;
With the cassette and 2 lock nuts off the outer sealed bearing is located behind the removable dust seal, around the outer bearing appears what looks to be possibly a lock ring which has a notch opposite each other. I'm guessing this is for complete hub dismantling to get at the innards.

Behind the cassette there are 3 c/s X/head screws what are these for ?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also when walking the bike with power on, occasionally the freehub snags (possibly worn bearings) causing the drive chain to engage thus the pas activates. Bike then leaps forward and has to be refrained by use of brake lever sensor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

When you've undone all the nuts on the axle right down to the bearing, the freehub just slides off. Sometimes they stick to the axle when crud or rust gets between the bearings and the axle. the three screws hold the clutch to the side-plate. If you want to dismantle the motor, you can remove one or more screws abd use the holes to apply torque to unscrew the side-plate:

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor itself feels fine and the axle turns sweetly by hand, the freehub is well on there didn't want to have to open the motor if not needed. Tried twice today to remove the it but not budging, will have another try tomorrow with some gentle heat from a blow torch. The rough/notchy rotation may not be a bearing issue as I feel no lateral play, so could be a pawl issue !!!

Only got this far nothing is budging :(.

DSCF0827.JPG

DSCF0828.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Try squirting some 3-in-one oil down the back of the free-hub. I know other people that successfully restored theirs by doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A bit dim and dingy for pics but will take some during better light tomorrow.
Fab'd up a lever from an old 8" x 2" ali hinge leaf and a gentle bit of heat, a bash and its open. Popped out the outer bearing which is fine, inner one is also fine but still in situ. I would need a 2 pronged tool to undo the retaining nut to get at the other one if I wanted it out and then the freehub. The issue of notcheyness is with the freehub possibly the pawls sticking a bit, the freehub is stead fast and isn't wanting to come adrift at all. Between the inner bearing and the freehub there is approx. a 5/6 mm gap, I have managed to wodge some liquid bearing grease in their and a good twiddle of the hub and it appears less notchy and quieter. Will have another play tomorrow.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All back together and working, freehub is fixed in some way probably needs the notched retaining nut to be removed. It is stead fast and would not budge.
Inner bearing 6902RS outer is 6901RS. The notchy freehub spins freer now but is still nosiy freewheeling all I can say is it much be a bad freehub. In use the Q is dead silent with SW controller.
Pretty much exactly the same as the Q100, just a bit larger and a bit more grunt. The Q128C is an Akiema hub and not a clone as it has an AKM serial number, probably BMS get them through a 3rd party or a as an OEM part.

A bit Heath but did the job my diy torque applicator, secured using two other bolts in the clutch housing.
DSCF0834.JPG

No wonder these are so quite, planetary gears well lubed.
DSCF0837.JPG

Clutch housing, springs pins etc a little fiddly if dislodged, esp with slippy greasy hands.
DSCF0838.JPG

In the end I didn't manage to get the freehub off, with a correct prong tool it might be possible. I did though manage to get the freehub spinning free'er so some of the liquid grease must have found it's way in to where the pawls are to reduce any sticking.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That ring nut retainer with 2 notches is only to retain the bearing within the hub. Once you have the side-plate off, you just twist the free-hub off. Only the pawls are retaining it. It's the nuts on the axle that keep the free-hub in the side-plate.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just couldn't get mine to budge !!! Even mole grips with a bit of old inner tube around the hub failed to get anywhere or a gentle tap with a rubber mallet. The retainer makes sense though for the outer bearing housing.
I did get the inner bearing out in the end by applying a bit of logic always better when you try the next day. Allowing me access to try tapping it out with a socket in place but no go.

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
I had a similar issue with my q100. Kept sticking and dragging the chain every now and again. Even when not powered. Turned out to be loose/moved circlip that holds the three ratchets in place. Fixed without taking whole motor out just fully undid the opposite side and could access the (freehub?) part. Don't think this is your issue but sharing in case

• Informative
Reactions: Nealh

Advertisers