Raleigh Veto Trail [FHM] now juddering and cutting out

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Hi everyone interested,

My to-date quite beloved Raleigh Velo has started misbehaving regularly. 2-3yrs old, battery good, it is going along when many start 'catching'. then front wheel judders as though on/off/on/off, once or twice turns the handlebar controller off. Previously, switching off and on again seems to do the trick and it'd be ok. I was showing someone yesterday with a view to a sale and it stalled just after take off, in middle of road which freaked him out a bit.

I changed the front wheel, i have a spare wheel [don't ask just now] and same thing. cleaned the battery terminals- its never off , charged on bike, and washed the rear sensor eye in case it was clagged.

The only thing i now wonder about is the control panel, it has some minor stress fractures on the back and i don't want to dismantle it. Any ideas? seems a shame to downgrade what has been a lively and reliable mount. ta.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like a wiring fault. The led/controller will either work or not so would thin to look else where. Check the hub connector and is pushed in all the way, usually up to a marked line or a click can be heard when pushing together. Also inspect the motor wire from the hub axle for any damage. At the other end check the phase wire connectors at the controller, pull part and if needed gently crimp then a little for a firmer fit, whilst there check the hall sensor block and the terminals. If there is an intermittent short some terminal/connector discolouring may be evident.
A case of fault diagnosis and checking and testing (riding) one item at a time to see if it cures the problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Your best hope is that it's the motor connectors at the controller end in that compartment at the front of the battery. Also, check the motor cable all the way to the motor connector on the forks for any sign of damage. After that, it's looking like a controller fault.

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Must thank you, two x forum members for the replies above; where were my manners?

Had forgotten I'd posted but now thinking about this again- will keep forum informed

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Er no, not yet, thanks.
I saw somewhere else on the forum recently, that some 'contact cleaner' eg on net I see 'Maplin's' * might be worth a try. I'm away from home at the moment but will certainly try this on the front connector by fr. drop-out, as waggled everything else about without result. When after a long interim tried bike again last week -awful juddering. Will post anon.
*Hi di hi,

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Yes; UPDATE - seem to have fixed it.

'PMA [branded] electrical cleaner' from a motor factors aka 'contact cleaner' is an inflammable aerosol which i sprayed on the front contacts - which had looked alright - and left it to dry off. Also the battery contacts. Hardly daring to hope applied pedal power and Lo! the motor smoothly enjoined and took me happily up the hill.
Brilliant.
Seems worth having a can of 'electrical contact cleaner' handy for regular use as who knew damp, as in an outhouse for example, may be enough to induce oxidation of bare metal and loss of performance. Made my day and no thought of giving away cheaply now. Put new tyres on today and once pumped a longer ride is in prospect.

Advertisers