Regarding Eu-regulatives, ordering manufacturers of ebikes to make it more difficult to tune

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we will find out sooner or later if dongles stop working on new bikes with the new firmware update.

i doubt it tho.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I would be mighty upset if I dropped thousands on a bike and it stopped
but then I am to tight to spend that and have to build/ convert my own :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can see your point about a road use pedelec but what about the mtb marketed as off road only higher performance machine will this also affect them ?
so if you fit a dongle is it a criminal offence if it is, does the dealer have to report the owner
If it's marketed as an off road high performance machine it's already to the Bosch S class maximum spec so a dongle wouldn't do anything. The dongles merely bypass the restriction that the legal pedelec units have.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If it's marketed as an off road high performance machine it's already to the Bosch S class maximum spec so a dongle wouldn't do anything. The dongles merely bypass the restriction that the legal pedelec units have.
sclass is 28mph so a dongle will be faster :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Bosch , and probably the other manufacurers of ebike-engines have done measures now to make it impossible or harder to tune their engines. All because of EU-directives.
I do not know if the updated restrictions only are software-based or/ and hardwared-based.

Have any of you tested tuning-hardware on "updated" Bosch-engines ?
This has always been in EN 15194 but the manufacturers had not implemented it seriously. Now that dongles are easily available I guess they have had to step up the protection to stay in conformity with EN 15194. If they aren't conform to the directive they can't legally sell motors...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
sclass is 28mph so a dongle will be faster :D
In theory a fraction, but Bosch won't be logging in those. The data logging is on the road legal pedelec units. It's almost certainly due to EU requirements for compliance with the law rather than Bosch protecting itself.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Without a in built gps SW can't prove 100% if bike has dongle fit.

If SW thinks its detected a dongle, there are few options open to them.
1) log it and do nothing. Can be used as evidence in future for accident investigations or warranty claims.
2) stop assist and display error code that needs shop to clear. Not likely as could affect non dongle bikes in some situations.
3) as above but user can clear error code by turning motor off/on. Dongle would be removed very quickly if the error code appears every 5-10minutes.

Some of manufacturers have gone for disk mount magnet/sensors instead of common bosch spoke/swing arm setup.
Besides being harder to fit dongle is more robust. The spoke magnet is very vunerable to being knocked, going out of alignment or falling off.

I've had one magnet twisted by knock, causing intermittent error which I sort. If it had been my wife riding she would've been riding or walking heavy bike.
I also caught out when changing chainring from 18 to 16t on her IGH bike. Needed to move wheel back slightly due to extra slack in chain, this put magnet/sensor out of alignment by few mm. Only showed up part way through ride, luckily I was with her. Could also happen after puncture repair if user is in hurry and doesn't set chain tension up correctly.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
This is only going to effect illegal unlicensed and uninsured riders and bikes
I don’t care what they do as long as they don’t make them any less than 15.5mph
I’m happy enough riding around on my fully road legal bike
If I need to go faster on 2 wheels I will pedal harder or get a moped :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This is only going to effect illegal unlicensed and uninsured riders and bikes
I don’t care what they do as long as they don’t make them any less than 15.5mph
I’m happy enough riding around on my fully road legal bike
If I need to go faster on 2 wheels I will pedal harder or get a moped :)
Try three :D

Reactions: Fat Rat

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just thinking about the photo above it show how infrastructure destroys the aerodynamics on vélomobiles. They all have uplifted noses to be able to go over speed bumps, racing vélomobiles have very little ground clearance. The German lady who recently broke the woman's world 24 hour record had hours where she averaged 57 km/h! She was going to beat the men's record as well but had a freak thunder storm during her attempt which slowed her down.

Bugger that
Drivers have enough trouble seeing you when you sit higher than most cars
Let alone sat down there :(
That is a common misconception I have confirmed as not true on the trike. When you are in front they see only you. The retarded among them do however have problems judging your speed and I am regularly cut off by drivers getting back in the lane too soon.

There is a real problem which is narrow country lanes with hedges. You have lots of those and so does the Basque Country. You are pretty much invisible to all other trafic there. No problem at night with decent lighting, that is when I do most of my riding during the season. Off season I stick to main roads and cycle paths.

When I do put a shell on the trike it will have lots of day-glow orange paint on it...

• Informative
Reactions: Fat Rat

Advertisers