Salisbury Powacycle:Need4Speed.Pics

paddy112

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2014
Hello all,
Been in the background for awhile, read some brilliant posts. I had to register today to ask a question, I have a Salisbury Powacycle, and its damn slow. I am looking for someone who has modded one of these before, or is familiar with the controller and which wire is for what. Is it a case where I need to buy a new controller? There is very little information on these bikes online despite the fact they sold quite a few, and I believe it was sold under a different name also

Included are some photo's of the bike and the controller and wires.

What I am aiming to do is increase it's speed any way possible, and alter it in such a way so I can have full motor power while peddling, for off road use :)

Thanks in advance

Details of Controller:
24v / 13a
HL2413LDL2
21.5vloom 1.1.jpg
16/06/2011

Added more pics, sorry they are not great.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Your motor can give a lot more torque and speed, but the battery probably can't. If you can afford it, a new 36v battery should solve everything at once. Your photo of the wiring isn't very clear. We need to see individual connectors to figure it out, but as far as I can see, it's very standard wiring.

paddy112

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2014
There is a diagram floating around online, but it is very unclear. I was hoping someone had a look at one of these boxes before, I believe they went in to many models of bike.
I am looking to remove the speed restriction, I think from reading about similar bikes, it will allow me go from the limited 15mph to 18mph. And I believe it is quite possible it is only a case of moving a few wires to allow for full throttle control, while peddling.
I am convinced this is so basic it is possible. I would love to buy the 36v battery, but my stock battery hasn't 50 miles done (But was minded). And I don't have the cash. Also I believe if I can complete these two mods, I will gain the speed I require.
Another option is search on ebay for "24v brushless bike controller". And jam in one of these, but I am hoping that my own controller has whats needed to do the job, but its the unfortunate case there is no information on this controller online, at least I could find it.

Thank you for your reply!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there is no point derestricting a 24V bike. You'll waste your time and money.
Put it on ebay and get another one like John Cade's Sport CD.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The controller and it's space on the Salisbury is rather small, so any other you bought would probably have to be mounted elsewhere. The only other thing I now about that controller is that it's a fairly simple one that doesn't latch off with low voltage, just switching in and out with load when the battery is drained.

Assuming the present controller can handle 36 volts, it probably can, the suggestion from d8veh to use a 36 volt battery will give you a substantial assist speed increase to over 20 mph.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the motor is only rated 180W, not one of the popular models seen here - you may fry it and the controller and the display unit if you overvolt.
paddy's only done 50 miles with his new bike, fitting a new battery will cost at least £250 (he'll need a new charger), void the warranty and reduce substantially the resale value of his bike.
how is it cost effective? paddy, cut your losses, sell it and buy another one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWACYCLE-SALISBURY-ELECTRIC-BIKE-BICYCLE-LPX-Lithium-Brand-New-Free-Delivery-/291181195592

D

Deleted member 4366

the motor is only rated 180W, not one of the popular models seen here - you may fry it and the controller and the display unit if you overvolt.
You shouldn't post things like that unless you have first hand experience or knowledge. It comes across as a li5tle hysterical.

I've run these motors at 48v and 900w. Nothing got burnt - only the road. I haven't yet found a 24v controller that couldn't take 36v. Controllers are very cheap anyway. Even if the 24v one did give problems, it's less than £30 for a 36v replacement.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
his bike is practically new, only 50 miles on the clock, d8veh.
Overvolting the bike is going to be expensive: new battery costs at least £250 shipped from the UK to Ireland, he'll lose even more if it does not do what he wants.
(he wants a 25 mph bike)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I tested my BBS01 at 48V instead of the normal 36V, I can tell you that the kit works but feels definitely iffy. The motor heats up more quickly, increased gear noise, speed gain is about 15% instead of predicted 33%. I did the same with the Woosh Big Bear, similar result. I gave up on the idea months ago.
The controller (on the Bear) got hot too, something that it does not do with 36V.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

his bike is practically new, only 50 miles on the clock, d8veh.
Overvolting the bike is going to be expensive: new battery costs at least £250 shipped from the UK to Ireland, he'll lose even more if it does not do what he wants.
(he wants a 25 mph bike)
It was the bit about the burning out that I thought was controversial.

If he doesn't like his bike, he'll have to sell it. How much money will he lose on it? He is where he is now. By buying the wrong bike, he's lost money. The question now is: How much does it cost to get what he wants? .

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
he's got £600.
I suggested an 18A BBS01 kit. That's about the cheapest he can get away with to reach 25mph. He'll need a 700C bike with 11T-34T cassette.

D

Deleted member 4366

he's got £600.
I suggested an 18A BBS01 kit. That's about the cheapest he can get away with to reach 25mph. He'll need a 700C bike with 11T-34T cassette.
A BBS01 will struggle to get most people past 20mph. Sure, it'll continue to give assistance to 24 mph, but it has virtually no torque at that speed. Neither is it the cheapest way. The 328 rpm 500w BPM kit from BMSBattery with a 36v 20ah battery, will actually pull you to 25mph. It only costs £428 plus about £40 duty.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the 18A version should have more oomph, where he lives is as flat as Holland, he's young, trim and can pedal.
The BBS01 can go on any bike, use any wheelset and safe in novices' hands. a BPM kit needs to be fitted by a good mechanic.

D

Deleted member 4366

t........... a BPM kit needs to be fitted by a good mechanic.
Fitting a rear motor is very straight-forward. Why do you say that it has to be fitted by by a good mechanic?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for you yes, but it's not the general case. Most nice bikes don't have any space between the BB and the crank to fit the PAS disc and sensor, wrong rear dropout width, more cabling etc.

Advertisers