samebike lo 26 ii / need help with new crankset

datboi

Just Joined
May 9, 2023
So i finally managed to get the crankset off the samebike lo 26 ii
I have a few questions, first, on the right crank after removing the sprocket there is a plastic wheel with what looks to be magnets on it.
Can i just slide it back on? Or is there a specific way in which it should be installed?

When installing the new crankset, do i need a torque wrench or can i go by feel?

Is the crankset in the picture compatible with my bike?

The original has 42teeth, i wanna go with 48teeth, will i need a longer Chain? Thanks!!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The magnet disc just simply slides on, just make sure it is tight on the axle and can't rotate around it. Make sure as in your pic the arrowed face, faces out wards.

You can use Torque wrench though I have never used one yet on a bike.

Crank set is compatible as it is square taper , you may find though that your front deraillieur isn't and may not be able to cope with the extra teeth capacity. So look up on the specs of it to see, if it doesn't work or cope with the larger teeth range then one will have to buy a new one that does.

Longer chain yes, the correct length will be to remove the chain from the rear deraillieur and simply run it around the large rear sprocket and the new 48t front chain ring. Where the two ends meet /overlap add two extra links, you may be able to use your one as a guide by counting the links and then adding /allowing for the two links to bypass the overlap.

datboi

Just Joined
May 9, 2023
The magnet disc just simply slides on, just make sure it is tight on the axle and can't rotate around it. Make sure as in your pic the arrowed face, faces out wards.

You can use Torque wrench though I have never used one yet on a bike.

Crank set is compatible as it is square taper , you may find though that your front deraillieur isn't and may not be able to cope with the extra teeth capacity. So look up on the specs of it to see, if it doesn't work or cope with the larger teeth range then one will have to buy a new one that does.

Longer chain yes, the correct length will be to remove the chain from the rear deraillieur and simply run it around the large rear sprocket and the new 48t front chain ring. Where the two ends meet /overlap add two extra links, you may be able to use your one as a guide by counting the links and then adding /allowing for the two links to bypass the overlap.
hey, thanks for the answer.

what exactly does the magnetic disc do? does it serve as a sensor of how fast the pedals are turning so the computer can determine how much motor assistance to give??

i'm not sure if i should get the 48 teeth sprocket at this point, considering i might also need a new derailleur and chain. is there no way to figure out if i'll need a new derailleur with the larger sprocket? i have little time to get this done so i can't really be ordering stuff waiting then sending it back, ordering more etc....

i don't even know how much i'll benefit from going to 48teeth. the reason was looking to upgrade is because even on the hardest gear there is too little resistance when pedaling at high speed

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The magnetic disc is the catalyst for the PAS Hall sensor to pick up a signal for PAS input, facing the magnets on the disc is a wired sensor head. As the magnets pass by the sensor they cause a low and high signal to switch in the Hall, when you fit the disc back on one needs to ensure the gap between magnets and the sensor head is 1mm or less.

One has to find out the derailieur type/make & component # , then try an internet search for the specs of said derailieur and the teeth capability the specs list.

datboi

Just Joined
May 9, 2023
The magnetic disc is the catalyst for the PAS Hall sensor to pick up a signal for PAS input, facing the magnets on the disc is a wired sensor head. As the magnets pass by the sensor they cause a low and high signal to switch in the Hall, when you fit the disc back on one needs to ensure the gap between magnets and the sensor head is 1mm or less.

One has to find out the derailieur type/make & component # , then try an internet search for the specs of said derailieur and the teeth capability the specs list.
the only stuff i was able to find written on the derailieur is microshift chainline 47.5/50mm

also tried googling the bike model and derailieur but not much luck.

i found some stuff that looks pretty much identical online, and it say's it's 42teeth max. i guess i'll buy a 42teeth one.... too much hassle upgrading....

Related Articles

Advertisers