Samsung SDI / 26F battery - sensible usage?

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
a year ago I ended up adding a YosePower conversion kit and 10.4Ah bottle battery to one of my old MTBs to use it as an ebike/commuter - just spent the day doing a service, new chain/cassette etc and it still looks to be doing well

And then I got curious about what I have (didn't really look when I bought it). Doing a bit more in depth research of what I bought it seems the battery has 26F cells - found the spec and they are rated at individually 5200mA

But how do I know what a sensible Amp draw from the whole battery is? Presumably there are banks of parallel and series cells in there

Mostly I use the kit at 150 to 200W but there are a couple of fierce hills on the way home that have me at 420W for a few minutes (according to the LCD3) - concerned that will be over cooking the cells

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Your pack will be 4 parallel cells/10 series cells, 4P10S, so max. for the pack is 20 amps with those cells. From what you say, it looks like you spend most of the time riding with 5/6 amp draw and on hills around 11/12 amps, so your cells are not getting too stressed. It's true 26F's are not ideal cells in low parallel packs, but it's what you have, so just avoid full throttle and prolonged use on PAS5 and it should serve you OK.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My old Oxydrive kit had 26F as 10s5p config, they were ok for about 20 months then lost some capacity which means range was some what reduced by some 30%. Usage was mainly pas2 or 3 so no real big amps drawn, I bit the bullet and de constructed the pack to make some 6p 15.6ah 3s booster packs for my 10s PF batteries so I could run at 13s. They are doing a good job running in series with the PF's.
For these smaller amp cells 6p is about the minimum I think they should be used.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
thanks folks - doesn't sound quite as bad as I imagined it might be, the controler is marked as 11A so that makes sense

The battery pack probably has about 100 cycles on it - which is my approx annual usage on this bike. My guess is it will last maybe 3 more years before I notice any issues - at which point I would be happy to pay for a better quality battery anyhow

Advertisers