schwalbe energizer life tyres

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Hello, the bike I am hoping to get is fitted with these tyres, I have read on here about the puncture resistance of their marathon versions and just wondered if these have decent puncture protection or not?
kind regards.
Simon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Simon.

The Energiser Plus has their "greenguard" puncture protection, a 3mm penetration resistant under layer that helps. This is a lot less thick than the Marathon Plus underlayer, so not as effective but better than no underlayer of course. Here's the greenguard illustrated:

I can't find any reference to a life version, but all the Energiser versions appear to have this same greenguard layer.

And here is the "smartguard" underlayer of the Marathon Plus versions:

Last edited:

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Hi flecc, many thanks for the reply, the tyres are as fitted to a pro connect 9 which is what I am leaning towards getting at the moment. I do like the sound of the marathon plus ones, a mate of mine uses those and has been puncture free on a recumbent for the last two years.
regards.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hello, the bike I am hoping to get is fitted with these tyres, I have read on here about the puncture resistance of their marathon versions and just wondered if these have decent puncture protection or not?
kind regards.
Simon
Your best gained opinion of these tyres is to go to a shop and hold an energiser in one hand and a marathon plus in the other and compare. Flecc is spot on with the description of the energiser. I will add to that by saying that they are a very well built, sturdy tyre that will last a long time. The same size MP is a better tyre but costs £10 more to replace. In my opinion, the energiser is a great original equipment choice compared to others. The MP is what I would replace it with when the time comes.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I use Marathon Plus tyres and they've almost removed punctures from my riding. As ever though, it's not all win win. They are heavier, also stiffer so are both less comfortable and have a higher roll resistance. They are mainly objections applicable to unpowered cycling, with added e-power they are less significant.

Reactions: Simo and Emo Rider

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
hi, I did read your thread re that incident with amazement when you posted it, I must have got confused with thinking it was a marathon which is actually why I asked the question, good news they work so well.
regards.

D

Deleted member 4366

My apologies. I forgot that I was using my 36v motor that has a MP when I got that nail stuck invthe tyre. The Energizer is back on now.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
How about asking nicly at the point of sale
" I'd like this bike but with those tyres"
It worked for me when I brought my bike. I had the OEM tyres swaped for Big Apples, no exgra charge as the OEM tyres were new and just went on the shelves for re-sale. Simples

Reactions: Emo Rider

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
How about asking nicly at the point of sale
" I'd like this bike but with those tyres"
It worked for me when I brought my bike. I had the OEM tyres swaped for Big Apples, no exgra charge as the OEM tyres were new and just went on the shelves for re-sale. Simples
Good luck if with 50cycles, don't seem receptive to that deal when I asked. Will sell you and fit MPs but watch the price, better deals from SJS Cycles or Chain Reaction Cycles on MPs and fit yourself.

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
Any suggestions for puncture resistant MTB tyres? (650B)
I don't want to use the goo option until I have fully tested reinforced tyres with my heavy downhill tubes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Any suggestions for puncture resistant MTB tyres? (650B)
I don't want to use the goo option until I have fully tested reinforced tyres with my heavy downhill tubes.
The two Marathon Plus tyres that are first on this webpage if it's mainly road use, choose your tread.

The Marathon Plus knobbly on this link if much of the riding is in tough off road conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emo Rider

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
The two Marathon Plus tyres that are first on this webpage if it's mainly road use, choose your tread.

The Marathon Plus knobbly on this link if much of the riding is in tough off road conditions.
The knobbly tyres look worth a try. They should be an improvement on my lightweight Hans Dampfs.
I've never really understood why there are so may more puncture resistant road tyres than offroad.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never really understood why there are so many more puncture resistant road tyres than offroad.
Yes, that does seem irrational. Perhaps it's just the market sizes that makes for more possible sales in the road use sector. Small scale production can be very expensive.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
My apologies. I forgot that I was using my 36v motor that has a MP when I got that nail stuck invthe tyre. The Energizer is back on now.
Have a look at this thread ti see how an Energizer tyre protected me from a 3" nail:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/do-puncture-resistant-tires-work.20489/#post-257045

That tyre has done 1600 miles with negligible wear, but the downside is no grip.
I've got MP's on almost everything I have, but grip is an issue,and after I came off hard end last winter on grit and skidded to a halt a few inches before the car of a motorist who was kind enough to have good reflexes, I realised grip may be more significant than anything else

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've got MP's on almost everything I have, but grip is an issue,and after I came off hard end last winter on grit and skidded to a halt a few inches before the car of a motorist who was kind enough to have good reflexes, I realised grip may be more significant than anything else

Maybe the Tour version I referred to above would be better for you? With a deeper and more featured tread it should be much better at coping with debris, while still having good roll characteristics.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've never really understood why there are so may more puncture resistant road tyres than offroad.
IMO
As stated before, volume of sales, plus possible punctures are more likely off-road because of the conditions, it's easier to protect against road hazards than off-road, thorns, flints, rocks, pinch punctures etc.

My smart sam plus's did 400 + road miles without issue. The first 1/2 mile of cannel towpath gave me three flats ( huge thorns in the sidewall )
Running lower pressures on uneven surfaces puts the un-protected tyre surfaces (sidewall) in the fireingline.

There's also this factor, off-roaders are a hardier breed and more likley to tolerate problems, including the need to fix a flat :p

Advertisers