Help! Shimano E6100 cant get it to stay at 60nm?

wallasken

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2022
I have bike with nexus 8 and E6100 and get the assist settings to stay at 60nm. As I understand the max is 50nm with a Nexus 8? Could I change it to a Nexus 5 in the etube settings and get
it to stay at 60nm? I just want to use 60nm now and then in the boost setting, not going to use that often, but nice to have in a head wind.

I have Stunlocker, PCe02 to use.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The Nexus 8 is not that strong and you do hear of early failures even without using a mid-drive motor. I guess if you aren't that heavy or powerful hacking it to give you the 60Nm is ok but they have downgraded it to protect the Nexus from failure. I think Bosch limit the motors typically used with Nexus 7 and 8s to 40Nm so are even more careful. If you want a more powerful setup with a Nexus use a front hub motor, you can get front hub motors at around 65Nm and they massively extend the life of Nexus hubs because none of their power goes through the drivetrain, they can lighten the load on Nexus compared to a normal rider by a huge amount.

Remember the strongest gear on a Nexus I think is number 5 (maybe 4 on a Alfine shifter as they are reversed) because that is the direct drive gear which not only provides the best efficiency but also reduces the wear rate on the Nexus mechanism.

wallasken

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2022
The Nexus 8 is not that strong and you do hear of early failures even without using a mid-drive motor. I guess if you aren't that heavy or powerful hacking it to give you the 60Nm is ok but they have downgraded it to protect the Nexus from failure. I think Bosch limit the motors typically used with Nexus 7 and 8s to 40Nm so are even more careful. If you want a more powerful setup with a Nexus use a front hub motor, you can get front hub motors at around 65Nm and they massively extend the life of Nexus hubs because none of their power goes through the drivetrain, they can lighten the load on Nexus compared to a normal rider by a huge amount.

Remember the strongest gear on a Nexus I think is number 5 (maybe 4 on a Alfine shifter as they are reversed) because that is the direct drive gear which not only provides the best efficiency but also reduces the wear rate on the Nexus mechanism.

Yes, im aware of that. But my plan is just to have the boost setting in 60nm. I rarely use it.

Also curios as to how the 50nm restriction works. Because I can change it to 60nm and I feel its stronger but next time I start it, its back to 50nm.

wallasken

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2022
So I tried to change it to 5 speed internal gears but got an error message from that. Next I tried to change it to mechanical external gears 10 speed and it works now, the 60nm setting stays. Havent really understood what those settings does since it does not have any kind of gear sensor?

Advertisers