Shipping an ebike from Stockholm to the uk

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I'm getting a new bike (possibly for christmas) my brother has built it in Sweden (he is a bike mechanic)

How do we get it here - lots of airlines say no ebikes
Swedish trains so no bikes (apart from the train to Copenhagen)

Anyone got any ideas?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The issue is the battery. It counts as 'dangerous goods', so cannot be flown as cargo on a passenger flight.

Simplest is often ship the bike without the battery and buy another battery in the destination country.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My ebike battery was delivered to me in the UK from Germany by UPS.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My ebike battery was delivered to me in the UK from Germany by UPS.
Companies have access to delivery channels not available at a sensible price to general public, which are just what's needed for a battery once the rest of the bike arrives!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get him to visit and ride it over .

Reactions: StuartsProjects

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You didn't think it through. Ask your brother to visit and build new bike here.

subduedviewer

Just Joined
Dec 29, 2023
Maybe you should disassemble the battery and just ship the bike without the battery. Because when the battery is inserted, it will easily cause a fire or explosion, so airlines will not accept the shipment

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Well it's no closer to arriving!!

It's currently sitting on a fazua computer trying to work out why it isn't working - something to do with updates maybe!

We have 2 carriers who might be able to deliver it once we have the dimensions

2024 might be the year of the new bike!!

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ask your brother in Sweden to sell the battery (he might get a good price if it's new?), get the bike posted to you in the UK, then buy a new compatible battery?

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
The battery is the least of it - transporting an ebike is the problem!

Move bike £390 DHL site 250 but £50 insurance so I have to find out what the move bike is insured for!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The battery is the least of it - transporting an ebike is the problem!

Move bike £390 DHL site 250 but £50 insurance so I have to find out what the move bike is insured for!
Is it cheaper to get an ordinary bike posted to you? Without a battery, it's just a bike, not an ebike?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
coming in late here, when looking for an ebike on ebay i contacted a few couriers and most only cared if any bike would fit inside a standard sized bike shipping box, so If your brother can remove the seat, pedals, front wheel and handlebars and fit inside a standard bike cargo/shipping box (available on ebay circa £15 iirc) you should be able to ship via any courier as a standard bike as long as the battery is not included. ebikes without power are just bikes with a few extras bolted on after all. youtube has lots of bike boxing vids providing step by step guidance.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Sadly the courier companies are saying it is an ebike even without the battery

A lot of airlines wont carry ebikes without the battery

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Ship it in two or more boxes as bike components. If the battery is removed, then so is the risk that the administrative controls are there to manage, so safety is dealt with. Just need a way through the bureaucratic overreach.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm getting a new bike (possibly for christmas) my brother has built it in Sweden (he is a bike mechanic)

How do we get it here - lots of airlines say no ebikes
Swedish trains so no bikes (apart from the train to Copenhagen)

Anyone got any ideas?
Tell him to sell the bike and give you the money. With that money and the money you save from not having to ship it, you should be able to buy something pretty decent in the UK.

Reactions: Az. and flecc

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I think we've done it!! I'll let you know when/if it arrives

I have a disability and my brother built the bike specifically for me - I'd struggle to buy anything off the peg that would meet my needs

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers