Sidestand stress on frame?

Dog George

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2016
Rock, Cornwall
I've just fitted a new sidestand on my Giant Full E+1. It is fitted to the chainstay with a bracing arm across to the seatstay. The fittings are really tight to stop any movement, but i'm worried that the pressure may damage the frame? Any advice welcome.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've just fitted a new sidestand on my Giant Full E+1. It is fitted to the chainstay with a bracing arm across to the seatstay. The fittings are really tight to stop any movement, but i'm worried that the pressure may damage the frame? Any advice welcome.
Sorry - not going to be able to answer, but I do have some questions! What sidestand have you fitted? Why did you choose that one? Any issues - other than as above - in fitting it? Do you have a photo?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I fitted dual stands, centre and prop, on one bike for convenience. The prop stand clamped tight on one one tube and did no damage in 11 years of regular use. Here's photos:

• Informative
Reactions: Dog George

Dog George

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2016
Rock, Cornwall
Sorry - not going to be able to answer, but I do have some questions! What sidestand have you fitted? Why did you choose that one? Any issues - other than as above - in fitting it? Do you have a photo?
It is a cheap (£6.50) stand from Ebay. I chose this one with the extra brace to cope with the weight of the Full E. I've had to really clamp it on tight to stop movement, that's why i'm worried about damaging the frame!

Attachments

Reactions: oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I had a similar one, you might have scratched the paint but I doubt you could dent the tubes.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It is a cheap (£6.50) stand from Ebay. I chose this one with the extra brace to cope with the weight of the Full E. I've had to really clamp it on tight to stop movement, that's why i'm worried about damaging the frame!
Thank you.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Not sure, googling it brings up some sites with a list of compatible bikes including E bikes but no mention of Full suspension models.
I'd contact someone like Rutland Cycles for more info.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not sure, googling it brings up some sites with a list of compatible bikes including E bikes but no mention of Full suspension models.
I'd contact someone like Rutland Cycles for more info.
Thank you - will do. Just asked on the off chance you knew. :)

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
FYI. I had one like that with no brace on my fatbike, and it would turn on the chain stay arm. I started to tighten it and arrgh I felt the fastener go loose and I realized the metal tube (steel) was being crushed. I stopped, but could see that the round tube was slightly flattened. It had two hard rubber pads that fit around the frame to prevent paint scratches.

I added a brace like yours, and I was able to make it work with minimal clamping force. Later the kickstand arm snapped in half. I bought a second one, which has lasted a year now,

P1490928.jpg

Advertisers